Fluid Film Corrosion Preventative

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXW

Looking for experiences from those that use this for under side of chasis. Our dirt road is treated with brine and turns most metals to rust quickly, including my beloved FLTRi.

Its a Bitog favorite for all the wrong reasons, those being ease of application, inexpensive and easy to obtain. The product itself is actually mediocre at best as a rustproofing compound under a vehicle.
The best products cost significantly more and need a special gun with wands to apply properly along with a compressor.

Fluid Film, CarWell and Krown all work well but need to be done yearly and properly. Hard to do without a lift. If your within driving distance of Syracuse then I would go there and have vehicle treated with CarWell. Maybe there is a Known shop near you.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its a Bitog favorite for all the wrong reasons, those being ease of application, inexpensive and easy to obtain. The product itself is actually mediocre at best as a rustproofing compound under a vehicle.
The best products cost significantly more and need a special gun with wands to apply properly along with a compressor.

Would the better products be CarWell and Krown?

Originally Posted By: Donald

I've used Krown and Rust check before. They work, but the places I went too didn't do the job properly. I decided to switch over to FF. The place that did the Civic never drilled all the way through the panels into the rear passenger section and the rust started. Needless to say I was ticked.

Here's some more information.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ans#Post3860529

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ilm#Post3347374

Last edited:
I completely disagree with Trav. Yes its a BITOG favorite, Yes it is cheap and easy to use and Yes it does "require" "yearly" applications... but why are those all bad things? 20 minutes during the summer with my airless paint sprayer and my truck is good for another year. And for MUCH cheaper than a commercially applied product.

As far as corrosion prevention, I've found it to be simply exceptional. I use it as a general purpose corrosion preventer for tools, cars, bikes (with and without motors) and even firearms. My favorite example is my fork stanchions on the Yammy; they like to rust and even just a few weeks of storage inbetween oil wipes would show faint beginnings of rust. The very occasional FF wipe (I have a saturated rag on the shelf) and they remain flawless.

Fluid Film seems to get a lot of love on BITOG, so I'm sure that a lot of people will share their experiences.

When it comes to protecting a vehicle's underbody, the product that's really intended for this is undercoat. I've mentioned before that I recently inspected a 1999 Saturn SL1 that had no underbody rust whatsoever due to its decades-old layer of undercoat. The owner didn't even remember ever having it undercoated, so she was either losing her memory or she got payment packed
crazy2.gif
Either way, she wasn't getting the yearly re-application that places like Ziebart recommend.

Maybe you've heard of the 1st-gen Ford Escapes that had the rear shock tower problems? I've never had an undercoated one that rusted around that problem area. The front floor pan rust on Nissan Altimas is very well-known. The undercoated ones are fine, though. In fact, come to think of it, I've never once looked underneath a car and seen rust nestled in among undercoat.

Now, people are understandably wary of most of what they hear in the F&I office, so they throw the baby out with the bath water and usually don't get the undercoat. It doesn't help that Consumer Reports seems to think that cars should only last five years:

Quote:
Rustproofing and undercoating. Don’t bother. Today’s vehicles are manufactured with good corrosion protection. In fact, Consumer Reports’ Annual Auto Surveys show that rust problems have almost vanished in modern vehicles. Standard rust-through warranties for most domestic and imported vehicles run five years or more, and many will cover you for an unlimited number of miles during the warranty period.

This makes me wary of anything that Consumer Reports says. It's kinda like when you see a story about your line of work on TV and then you wonder if every story is that wrong.

For $20 or $30, one time, while the vehicle is still brand new and totally clean, you could just undercoat it.

I might be reconsidering this for my B2300. I have a gallon can I got from a JD dealer. I've already coated my new diff cover with some 18 year old double boiled linseed oil. I hear Barry Bonds has quite a supply.

Last edited:

Cortec VpCI-368 Corban 35 come to mind, both have mil and commercial certifications. I have used both and they are excellent and hold up well in the salt belt.

I more or less agree with this.

The reality is that getting into drain holes and behind panels, and treating with a creeping protective compound is the best way to protect rust coming from the inside due to moisture and brine buildup.

That said, something that's easy to apply and non-toxic is good for exposed metal under the vehicle, as most anything will wash off (and what won't is likely to be able to trap moisture underneath making more issues), and so these are good attributes. Fluid film works well, but once the propellant/solvent flashes off, I don't think it creeps as well as an oil applied. Optimally a creeping oil is applied first to the nooks and crannies and inner regions underneath, then followed up with something like fluid film, or perhaps better a spray wax. Spray waxes should be topped with oil though as they too aren't cure-alls, and will also allow moisture to creep and stay underneath if blemished.

I've used FF wanded in enclosed areas and think it does fine with that, but wouldn't use it for an underbody application for those large exposed areas.

I really like Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. It dries kind of waxy. Is a little thicker than FF. Been using it quite a few years with great success.

Cortec VpCI-368 Corban 35 come to mind, both have mil and commercial certifications. I have used both and they are excellent and hold up well in the salt belt.

Where can this be purchased?

Donald, in this test done by Cortec, you will be glad to see that Carwell was the best!

https://www.cortecvci.com/Publications/Reports/11-101.pdf

However, they note that the Carwell product is petroleum based while theirs is not. And, one has to consider whether the test even remotely resembles what might happen on a vehicle.

Last edited:
I have never been a fan of spraying oil under a vehicle. I wash and spray wax often though. I used to Jack up my car once a year and touch up rust spots but that got old quick. professional undercoating is the way too go for sure. my truck I just touch up under truck rust with paint to keep it fresh after a good wash. its lifted so the frame is about waste height so I don't have to bend over
smile.gif

I started using the VpCI-368 last year and the product is excellent. It's not cheap, but to me my time is money and paying up for a better product is well worth it. In all honesty there is no comparison between a spray bomb application and using a compressor with the wands for applying any of these products.

If you really want a good job a compressor and gun with wands is the hands down winner. Last week on my Jeep I combined that with a coat from my airless sprayer on the undercarriage and was very pleased with the results.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I started using the VpCI-368 last year and the product is excellent. It's not cheap, but to me my time is money and paying up for a better product is well worth it. In all honesty there is no comparison between a spray bomb application and using a compressor with the wands for applying any of these products.

If you really want a good job a compressor and gun with wands is the hands down winner. Last week on my Jeep I combined that with a coat from my airless sprayer on the undercarriage and was very pleased with the results.

Source???

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Donald, in this test done by Cortec, you will be glad to see that Carwell was the best!

https://www.cortecvci.com/Publications/Reports/11-101.pdf

However, they note that the Carwell product is petroleum based while theirs is not. And, one has to consider whether the test even remotely resembles what might happen on a vehicle.

That test uses a Cortec 377 not 368 they are totally different products with different uses.
If you are going to link to a comparison test please use one comparing the correct product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back