Quaker State Syn vs Pennzoil Syn and fuel savings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what is so special about the Quaker State Ultimate durability that claims can save fuel at the pump. What about the new pennzoil platinum pure plus?

The difference is .00000000000007645324 gallons every year at 70 mph driving downhill with a head wind <10knts.

the difference is the size of your bank account.

Synthetic is only good for OCI greater than 7.5k miles.

Synblend for everything else.

Last edited:
Since energy savings oil are supposed to offer the same mpgs as a PAO oil there will be none.

For what it's worth, I went from using regular semi-synthetic franken-blends in my car (anywhere from 1/5 synth to maybe 1/2 synth max), to 100% full Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and I wouldn't say that I've really seen any statistically significant improvement in mileage over the roughly 6300 miles that I've had the PUP in, over what I was getting with the frankenblend.

It's probably there, but in 6,300 miles, I'm not seeing enough of it to be able to distinguish it from the background noise.

If the difference between a 10W30 SB and a 15W40 conventional is everything Shell claims it is it would be 0.1 mpg.

Given two energy conserving oils of the same grade gains would likely be in the hundredths of a mpg or less.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
I was wondering what is so special about the Quaker State Ultimate durability that claims can save fuel at the pump. What about the new pennzoil platinum pure plus?

It does have three times the Moly in the latest formula but if it's regular moly compared to Tri in the PP that likely doesn't mean much.

I have ran both. QuakerState is not for me. I used it for one oil change and lost a quart in 4k. I now do 5k or one year on my oil changes for my Saturn Vue 2.2L. I have tried many blends, conventional as well as synthetic with QSUD being worse and Pennzoil Synthetic as best and what I run now. I checked fuel mileage improvements over certain oils as well as fuel. When I got vehicle I was getting 15 avg. in city and 30 on occasional hwy. After all personal observations I have now gotten 20 city and 32 hwy with highest was 34 mpg a couple of months ago with over 350 miles of back road driving with speed limit of 55 so that helped. I now avg 25 mpg overall. What I found was magical formula of Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 5w30 oil and use of Plus midgrade gas. For those that doubt these results I now go over 300 miles on tank of fuel up from 250 so a 5 mpg improvement. Avg. 5800 miles a year over a 6 year span. I have a 16 gallon tank and most of time never takes over 12 gallons to fill up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back