97 or 98 Murray wide body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple and cheap, but built to the lowest possible standards. With a smaller yard and the ability to keep it running then it may not be too bad. But a 42" deck on a fairly large yard will make mowing tedious, especially at the slower speed those older mowers move. The Briggs engine and probably the transaxle will be easy enough to source parts. Other parts, especially deck parts may not be as easy.

Why would you call this vintage?

When you say vintage, I am imaging IH made Cub Cadets and Wheel Horse lawn tractors.

It's a good cheap lawn tractor, 42" is average, my Cub is only 38" deck.

If the hydro is slowing down you could do some mods to improve speed:

Last edited:
To me vintage was just a term for the year but that's my opinion. As for your video, what's your point????

I bought one for my parents from Wal-Mart around 2000 and was still running strong when I sold the house in February. It was plenty fast. With the hydrostatic you just pushed pedal to go forward and back to go in reverse so it was easy to manoeuvre. My stepather had about 3 acres and mowed a field with a lot of ruts. It had one speed for him: Fast.

Downside: Just about every bolt had to be replaced. Multiple times for the ones that held the engine to the frame.

Toward the end I was not cutting even. I think some of the other parts wore. I did everything the manual recommended but still was not cutting even. My stepfather running into a tree and bending the mower deck did not help.
grin.gif

Engine was very strong. Needed to adjust valves once. Was backfiring when shutting off. That took care of the problem. It leaked oil, never burned oil. That is the second Briggs engine I had that leaked. Ran Valvoline Synthetic 5w-30 most of its life. When valves needed adjusting it would not start right away. Something to do with the compression release.

I installed a small tractor seat with its own suspension so the rider took a lot of abuse, but you would not feel it. It served us well, but is not a Deere. To be fair I was looking at Deere but the price was a lot more for a smaller deck. The frame showed it's age and engine/transmission ran like new after years of abuse.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Why would you call this vintage?
When you say vintage, I am imaging IH made Cub Cadets and Wheel Horse lawn tractors.

For a very cheap, semi disposable riding mower it is vintage. It's not even in the same class as Cub or Wheel Horse which are garden tractors.

Quote:

semi disposable

Not sure how this is accomplished lol (j/k)

Not up to your regular standard for exactness of language.

Last edited:
I've used and found Murray mowers to offer a very good value in mowers. Like all mowers they need maintancence. I my last 12HP Murry 38" rider served me for 12 years and sold it running fine to a neighbor who still mows with it. I think it will not take the abuse my John Deere will but, at twice the price. I don't abuse my equipment so that is of no consequence. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back