robocopy for hard drives copying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photographer by trade. I have had to recover to failing 2 gig hard drive. Someone created a batch file with using Robocopy but it doesn't work. Researching, and this is part of it, states the command line needs a folder to folder copy. His code was basically "E: F: copyall and then a couple of switches. It didn't work.

I could just create a single folder named "Alpha" and then move everything into that. Then I could us ROBOCOPY to copy that entire folder into another folder on teh destintion drive, then open that and move to the root directory.

What is wrong, or what command prompt will copy data e: f: preserving all files and structures.

The bigger problem is trying to combine files on a failing hard drive. (It became a single directory at a time)

What OS are you using? Why can't you grab the whole bunch of folders and copy them through the graphical interface, recursively getting their inner subdirectories and files all at once?

You can also use xcopy, or there is also a gui interface for robocopy if you're not familiar with all of the switches. Or you could just map a drive and copy/paste.

robocopy works great for synching individual folders but isn't really good for an entire drive.

Actually it could work but the OS (and robocopy) doesn't understand his drive letters as folders. He needed them to be e:\ and f:\

Last edited:
Drive letters are easily changed. Why not just use a cloning program and clone it to a new drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back