Is it harmful to have a fan that runs constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked the relay and fan switch and both are good. Is it harmful to ignore the problem of both fans running whenever the key is on? Will this cause a problem?

As long as your thermostat is working well there shouldn't be any harm done to your engine.

Just extra wear for the fan motors, more stress for the alternator & battery, and maybe a little worse mileage.

On the old Volvo 240's the interior fan would constantly run when the ignition was on. Great way to get customers spending big $$$ replacing a fan motor that usually took the whole day to replace.

But no, as long as there isn't excessive electrical draw and the fan isn't too difficult to replace, I cannot see a problem with it

Originally Posted By: Avery4
I checked the relay and fan switch and both are good. Is it harmful to ignore the problem of both fans running whenever the key is on? Will this cause a problem?

Since you rebuilt the engine on your Stratus, you should be able to figure out how to correctly repair the fan. Just fix it right and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Since you rebuilt the engine on your Stratus, you should be able to figure out how to correctly repair the fan. Just fix it right and be done with it.
Cooling fan circuits I have looked at are "fail safe" in that the fan relay must be current through the coil to turn the fans OFF. A wiring fault will leave the fans on. The fan switch OPENS when the radiator is hot enough to turn on the fans. There are variations, such as running one fan all the time when the AC switch is on and circuits set up to provide more than one fan speed. O the Camrys I have both fans run when the AC is engaged, thus if operated in a hot climate like Florida they run for many months a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

It is not that I do not know how, I was planning on fixing it, I just wanted to know how urgent it was.

More load on the alternator, and the thermostat will run a bit more closed, similar to running in a colder temperature......So mileage will suffer. But it will not harm anything else, in the short term.

Those fan motors also are not rated for 100% duty cycle.

It will burn out before too long and overheat the engine. Those "neon" engines aren't the greatest and it will blow a head gasket, melt paint on the hood, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back