Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the track. Bristol was very poorly attended this spring. But Autoclub Speedway was near a sell out. Phoenix was very well attended 80% or more of the seats taken. Las Vegas was even a bit better than Phoenix. Martinsville was surpringly off this year. Maybe 70% seats taken. Kansas City race was very well attended. Texas was only 2/3 full which is down a bit from last year. Daytona was not good as it should have been with maybe 70% attendance. Of course Daytona has had a large number of seats removed including the seats on the backstretch. Richmond was very attended today.

In the past 6-7 years the worst attended races have been Dover, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Bristol. In that same time frame the races at Martinsville, Pocono and Darlington have been attended quite well for the most part. Charlotte took out 60,000 seats and it still looked to be barely 2/3 full last year. Dover should have lost a race 7 to 8 years ago. That place has been less than 50% attended for all these years. I wonder if they got rid of the vast camping area across Rte 1 at Dover?? Ive been to Dover and remember how many camp sites they did have in 2003. Maybe this is why they have lost so many people there. I have the same question about Charlotte has well. Indianapolis is a terrible race track because heavy race cars can't hardly pass around there. Heck, the Indy cars which are a lot lighter can barely pass there. The shine greatly wore off at Indianapolis with the tire debacle in 2008. Bristol took something not broke and broke it. The repave and reconfiguration turned it into a loser. I liked the new track configuration due to it opening up ways to pass. But MANY other fans felt very differently. Truth was and is that the one line around the bottom made for lots of action. This action is what put Bristol on the map to begin with. Taking it away was a total buzzkill.

It goes without saying that the economy still is a large factor too. For example if a family of 4 went to Richmond this past weekend and paid to stay at the Hyatt off of I-64 it could have been say $200 plus a night? That's $400 plus tickets obviously, plus gas to get to and from, food etc... That's easily $1000-1300. Maybe it could be less than that due to different variables thrown in. In 2008 when my friend Tony and I went there tickets were $100 a piece. And I know that hotel rooms were twice as expensive on race weekend in Dover than they were regularly. I have paid just over $100 for a room at the Hyatt I mentioned. So I believe cost is a factor in this as well. Heck, look at NFL games for good teams. . even they aren't selling out their games at times as well. I never remembered commercials for the NFL pushing for selling tickets at all until 7-8 years ago. The NBA has almost 20 teams losing money the last several years. This loss of attendance is not just been relegated to NASCAR only. Is it more noticeable in NASCAR? Yes, no doubt. NASCAR would do themselves a lot of help in cutting the schedule down to 32 or even 30 races. Less is more at times. The NFL has down this by keeping their season to 16 games. It leaves the fans wanting more. Which is a good thing. Going to an 18 game season is the opposite of what they should be doing. Also the number of bad seats needed to be eliminated in NASCAR. Too many seats put in bad spots like at Talladega at the very lowest part of turn 4 and going into turn 1 should've be gone years ago. So by eliminating bad seats this kills two birds with one stone.

Will NASCAR come back to its prior attendance?? Hard to say. But this country's economic circumstance will be a large contributing factor. Just like it will be for the NFL, NBA and MLB. The fact that the most popular sport the NFL is having commercials selling tickets ought to tell you something. Just like NASCAR's most popular driver Dale Earnhardt Jr having to hustle to get more than one sponsor for his car for a season. Things are not all that well just yet for this country. And it shows even in our sports.

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
Bring back the actual factory bodywork for the supposed race cars.
Make them put the driving wheels in the same position as the ones sold on the street.
Make them use the same suspension geometry as the ones sold to you and me.
Make them use the same aerodynamics as available aftermarket to you and me.

Then you will have the racing back, as well as the fans.

I agree 100%

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
........It goes without saying that the economy still is a large factor too. For example if a family of 4 went to Richmond this past weekend and paid to stay at the Hyatt off of I-64 it could have been say $200 plus a night? That's $400 plus tickets obviously, plus gas to get to and from, food etc... That's easily $1000-1300...... So I believe cost is a factor in this as well. Heck, look at NFL games for good teams. . even they aren't selling out their games at times as well.....

All good points. When I was a kid growing up in Chicago, we could take the subway from the suburbs to Wrigley Field for .25 cents. A grandstand seat cost $1.50. Then another quarter for the ride back home after the game. $2.00 for an entire afternoon of watching Major League Baseball. Today it's well over $100.00 per person for the same thing.

NASCAR is no different. This is the downside of big money, and big paychecks invading a sport. Middle class people can simply no longer afford this kind of live entertainment. And many of the wealthier who can are not interested. It's a lose / lose combination.

Also add into the mix that television coverage in NASCAR has taken over. Along with the quality and affordability of big flat screen sets, that just about every family can now afford. Remember, the first Daytona 500 that was ever telecast live was in 1979. You had to go to the races live if you followed the sport. Now you'll see more cheaper by watching at home. And you'll see it in high definition on a 55" screen, that cost less than a 19" picture tube model did 30 years ago..

Add it all up, and people are not going to be attending these events like they did in the past. And I left out the fact a lot of people today avoid large crowds because of the terror factor. I know I do. It's just not worth it.

I think with NASCAR it's more the "chase" [censored] and the other [censored] they've done to the cars thats ruined the sport. Ticket costs is still pretty darn reasonable if you ask me, compared to something like NFL or MLB. I took my family of 4 to Richmond this weekend and got the Jimmy Johnson Meet and greet/Q&A session included with row 3 seats on the front stretch right up from the start/finish line for a grand total of ~$150. Yea the food is high and so are the drinks but we bring coolers and our own stuff in (which NASCAR surprisingly still allows) so it saves a ton!

Racing was good all day, seats were awesome and Jimmy Johnson truly is a great guy! Nothing really wrong with the sport if you ask me but that chase [censored] and GIVING Kyle Busch and Toyota that championship last year just plain sucked. I'm hoping NASCAR doesn't do that [censored] again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
Bring back the actual factory bodywork for the supposed race cars.
Make them put the driving wheels in the same position as the ones sold on the street.
Make them use the same suspension geometry as the ones sold to you and me.
Make them use the same aerodynamics as available aftermarket to you and me.

Then you will have the racing back, as well as the fans.

I agree 100%

Where would safety fit in with your plan?

I was at the Richmond race yesterday and left at lap 250 because it was boring. There were plenty of empty seats and lots of fans started leaving around lap 150.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Where would safety fit in with your plan?

It wouldn't, and it doesn't. It's easy to risk the lives of others, in order to increase someone else's entertainment value.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
I was at the Richmond race yesterday and left at lap 250 because it was boring. There were plenty of empty seats and lots of fans started leaving around lap 150.

Too bad, you guys missed a good race.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Too bad, you guys missed a good race.

I agree! How can you call that a boring race?? I think some need to rethink their hobbies/sports! Lots of green flag runs, lead changes and plenty of action! I'm not a Carl Edwards or Kyle Busch Fan but it was still decent racing!

Ive been watching NASCAR for 30 years and that was not in anyway a good race. It was basically a 4 car show that had no action or excitement. Basically follow the leader. Throw in NASCAR's manufactured "debris" cautions and it was outright boring. To those that think it was exciting should maybe look back to short track races from the 70's-90's.

Ive been watching NASCAR for 30 years and that was not in anyway a good race. It was basically a 4 car show that had no action or excitement. Basically follow the leader. Throw in NASCAR's manufactured "debris" cautions and it was outright boring. To those that think it was exciting should maybe look back to short track races from the 70's-90's.

Would you rather only 5 cars on the lead lap line it was back then?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Ok, leave nascar as it is. There are still more stands to remove. perhaps a section each year.

Changing it by making it more dangerous for both drivers and fans is not a solution to raise attendance figures.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
It is very expensive to go to a race. Pit/Paddock weekend passes and Sunday reserved seating was over $500 for 2 people for the Long Beach GP this weekend.

That's why you should support your local dirt track. Here in the Phoenix area we have a couple of dirt tracks where the racing is good, and admission is $15 adults, $12 Seniors, Kids (7-12) $5 and kids under 7 free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back