Ford 4.0L & Dodge 4.7L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Looking at mid-2000s 4wd SUVs with 3 row seating and keeping an open mind about brands. I'm mostly a GM guy so don't really need to discuss them. Any feedback on the Ford 4.0 V6 in the Explorer and the Dodge 4.7L in the Durango? Any issues like the Ford V8 spark plug fiasco? Need something with reasonable offroad ability so crossovers are pretty much out. Not willing to pay the Toyota tax so the Sequoia is out. No plans to tow so the bigger V8s aren't necessary unless they're more reliable. thanks

I have a 2002 Ranger with The 4.0 SOHC V-6 at 165,000 miles and its been bulletproof so far, Im very pleased, others may say "Timing Chain" issues with this engine, but Ive had NONE. I do use a 10w-30 motor oil in this truck. Oil Sheer? due to the 3 timing Chains.

Ford 4.0 is a good engine. They did have timing chain tensioner issues early on but any 4.0 still out there has most likely been fixed by now. 2004 and later engines already had the updated parts installed at the factory and shouldn't have problems with that.

Thermostat housings are another common issue on this engine. They're made of plastic and tend to crack and leak. You can buy an aftermarket housing that's cast aluminum and that will solve the problem permanently.

I have this engine in my Ranger and I really like it. It has tons of power. Gas mileage isn't that great; I usually get about 17 mpg. I have 65k miles so far. I had to replace the thermostat housing a few months ago, replaced it with the aluminum housing, other than that no problems.

I had the 4.7 in my 2001 Durango SLT Plus. That was a really nice SUV.The 4.7 was very smooth and had more than enough power. 3rd row wasn't huge but it can handle kids in the back no problem.

I think as long as they are maintained, transmission flushes etc, they last a long time. Mine needed ball joints and shocks around 100K but other than that was trouble free until I sold it at ~ 130K.

I still regret selling it but the ex-wife wanted something smaller.

Last edited:
If your dodge 4.7 pooches (lots do) expect to pay far above average prices to replace it.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
If your dodge 4.7 pooches (lots do) expect to pay far above average prices to replace it.

Yeah, it looks like this motor has sludge problems if OCIs have been neglected. Buying a 100K truck could be a real [censored] shoot. No problems with good maintenance. This is true of any motor but more serious consequences with the 4.7 maybe. Good to know.

http://www.copart.com/us/Licensing/LicensingOverview

You live in a great state for getting a cheap used vehicle; private individuals can purchase without having to go through a broker, and no rust to worry about!

I'll tell you what I've done - find something you like that came out of a fleet (Midsize SUV's always pop up on there). That way, at least there is some reassurance that it's not only received scheduled maintenance, but repairs have been done properly as well. Additionally, should you so desire, with a phone call or two you'll have complete records on the vehicle and know the history.

Good luck!

Don't know anything about the Ford 4.0, but the 05 and later 4.7 is extremely reliable. The earlier ones had a habit of spitting out the random cam follower and having a cylinder go dead- no damage done, and there are many youtube videos showing how to pop the follower back in with a screwdriver. The later engines (after around 2003/2004) don't do it anyway- it was a matter of reducing the total travel for the hydraulic lash adjusters. Among those youtube videos are some showing how to just shim the HLA's on older engines so the follower can't pop out on them, either. The 4.7 block is built like a battleship- its a small-displacement engine but the 5 main bearings are all carried in a single "ladder" casting that bolts to the bottom of the block between the block and oil pan, pretty much creating an assembly as strong and maybe stronger than a deep-skirt block with cross-bolted main caps. You're NOT going to scatter a 4.7 from bearing movement or crank distortion... period.

The 08 and up 4.7 is actually even better with a revised cylinder head, dual spark plugs, and 310 horsepower instead of ~240 for the 07 and down non-HO versions. But the Hemi overshadowed it, and once the 5.7 Hemi got MDS it also delivered better fuel economy, so the 4.7 was effectively replaced by the Pentastar v6.

4.7 "sludge" is a myth perpetuated by the fact that the first application in ~98/99 had a tall oil filler neck that would form a white condensate emulsion right under the oil cap because moisture would get up there and there was no air flow through the filler neck to clear it out. Engines with a short fill neck don't don't do that, and NONE of them sludge any more than any other engine (in other words- sure, if they're severely neglected).

Hey 440...what about the vehicle that's wrapped around that engine (Durango)? Know much about it?

I've seen a few second generation models with the 4.7L for sale.

I had a 03 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7. Engine had plenty of power, but didnt do real good on gas. I think I remember it averaging 14.5 mpg, that was with a 5 speed in a 4x4 Dakota. Other than lower gas mileage it ran well and I never had any issues with it.

440Mag, thanks for the reply, lots of good to know stuff there. Searching there seems to be enough 4.7 sludge hits that it's somewhat more than average? To be fair, it seems the Ford 4.0 has timing chain tensioner problems that can trash the motor.

vehicles with blown 4.7's litter craigslist like forgotton cobalts and trashed sunfires. almost everytime i go to home depot i see an unfortunate guy pulling out blasting blue smoke or knocking (no hemi badge on the side). I personally owned two 4.7's and loved them while I had them, but I'll be a hog's tick if they are reliable.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Hey 440...what about the vehicle that's wrapped around that engine (Durango)? Know much about it?

I've seen a few second generation models with the 4.7L for sale.

That platform (stretched version of the Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2) is a bit of a hole in my knowledge. Never owned one, and the person I know who did own one didn't keep it long enough for me to know much about it. They trade cars every couple of years. I know the WK2 isn't all that popular in the Jeep world, but I think it may have as much to do with the sacrilege of giving it independent front suspension and enlarging it over the ZJ/WJ that was so well-liked by offroaders as much as anything else. They're a pretty finicky lot...

My wife had a 2003 4.7 Durango 4WD and it was a really good car. Only problem ever was a driver's window regulator and she wore out the driver's side window switch also. I'm pretty sure the problem was because she smoked at the time and was always rolling the window when she was smoking. Probably any vehicle would have the same issue. The earlier 4.7s used a lot of gas. The best we ever got was 16 mpg on a trip. It averaged 13.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
vehicles with blown 4.7's litter craigslist like forgotton cobalts and trashed sunfires. almost everytime i go to home depot i see an unfortunate guy pulling out blasting blue smoke or knocking (no hemi badge on the side). I personally owned two 4.7's and loved them while I had them, but I'll be a hog's tick if they are reliable.

Maybe, but I'd bet you a steak that if you're seeing a Ram without a Hemi badge knocking and spitting blue smoke then its probably a 5.9 with the lower intake plenum gasket leaking (known issue that causes both the knocking and the blue smoke).

I dont know much about the 4.7 mopars, but I notice you mentioned the 4.0 fords and not the 4.6 V8. Other than the spark plug issue they're pretty solid motors. Fuel economy on the 4.6 explorers was about the same if not better than the 4.0 (5 speed vs 4 speed).

My parents had an 03 limited with the 4.6, 3rd row and all. It went 155k miles before they traded it in on an Edge. At the end it did need new tie-rod ends, but no major issues.

Also, parts are pretty common for those motors, as their in so many cars.

I have an 04 explorer with the 4.0 engine and I've had no problems with the engine, knock on wood. With that said I should mention the rear end was rebuilt with less than 60 thousand on it, service manager mentioned there was an issue with the 04 and 05 with this problem. 10 thousand miles later at 70 thousand the transmission went out. I've only towed a couple of small trailers like twice. The trans fluid was flushed by the dealer at 30 and 60 thousand. So don't forget about these components.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I dont know much about the 4.7 mopars, but I notice you mentioned the 4.0 fords and not the 4.6 V8. Other than the spark plug issue they're pretty solid motors. Fuel economy on the 4.6 explorers was about the same if not better than the 4.0 (5 speed vs 4 speed).

My parents had an 03 limited with the 4.6, 3rd row and all. It went 155k miles before they traded it in on an Edge. At the end it did need new tie-rod ends, but no major issues.

Also, parts are pretty common for those motors, as their in so many cars.

The V-8 Explorer has a much stronger transmission too.

Have 02 4.7 in a Grand cherokee, no issues. The 545RFE is bullet proof transmission.

ALso have a 2000 Durango with the 5.9 46RE, again no issues.

Do the maintenance and you dont have the problems.

The trick at this stage is finding a SUV which has been maintained.

As mention the 5.9's have the intake plenum issue. 4.7's dont take kindly to overheats and a lot of idiots neglect the cooling systems, hoses etc

Originally Posted By: HM12460
The V-8 Explorer has a much stronger transmission too.

Depends on what year you are looking at.

The 5.0 from 96 to 2001 got the 4R70W instead of the 5R55.
The 4.6 from 2002 to 2005 has the same transmission as the V6.
The 4.6 from 2006-2010 gets the 6R60 or 6R80 (same transmission as used in F150's currently).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back