champ ph820 5k miles peak 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
This champ had 5k miles with peak 5w20 filter looks great for an ecore although the truck itself needs some maintainance it's got some sort of ignition issue coil pack/ spark plug / injector causing fuel dilution (per smell) and seems to have lots of metal specs in the filter it was replaced with 7 qts of napa 5w20 and another champ ph820
20160424_231403_zpspd2hft26.jpg
20160424_231426_zps9hmmuypz.jpg
20160424_231443_zps73h30dd4.jpg
20160424_231938_zpsdykvdprs.jpg

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Looks like synthetic filter.

Its not a "synthetic" filter.

That's a Champ Labs ecore filter. Its got a plastic center-support tube, regular cellulose media (standard type), and then they sonic-weld the poly end discs to the media. I'm guessing they have a media with some type of poly in it (polyester?), at least enough of it to bond the poly discs to.

Champs ecore bonds plastic to plastic. FRAM bonds paper to paper. Both are generally easier to achieve than bonding steel caps to paper (easier to bond like-materials). Mann uses this resin-looking stuff in both clear and yellow opaque. A better bond means a better seal, and, less likely for the glue to flake off into your engine.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DudeNiceRide
Originally Posted By: tc1446
Looks like synthetic filter.

Its not a "synthetic" filter.

That's a Champ Labs ecore filter. Its got a plastic center-support tube, regular cellulose media (standard type), and then they sonic-weld the poly end discs to the media. I'm guessing they have a media with some type of poly in it (polyester?), at least enough of it to bond the poly discs to.

Champs ecore bonds plastic to plastic. FRAM bonds paper to paper. Both are generally easier to achieve than bonding steel caps to paper (easier to bond like-materials). Mann uses this resin-looking stuff in both clear and yellow opaque. A better bond means a better seal, and, less likely for the glue to flake off into your engine.

Cheers.

LOL! This is what I'm talking about when I said it's not as easy bonding paper to steel. Seen this too many times on import fuel filters my boat used.

_Purolator_PL14612#Post4075981]Purolator end cap detached...

Did you get that at RockAuto?

I passed on some Champ branded PH51A filters for $1.49 each because I figured it had the old cage design. The one you cut open held up just fine looks like. Thanks for the cut and post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back