Any Hope for this Headlamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is on a Freightliner truck. As you can see, the top 1/3rd of the plastic lens has developed some kind of coating on the outside of the lens. Can it be taken off?

Id say that one of the coatings has delaminated and chipped off with time/heat/uv/mileage.

IMO you've got nothing to lose, so look at a few headlight refinishing threads/youtube videos, and go at it! Worst case youll replace it, which was probably the case anyway.

I think Trav had recommendations for spray-on clear/UV inhibitors for headlights that worked well...

No problem bringing that one back to good condition. I made a post in another thread about the steps I will see if I can find it.

Try the Turtle Wax headlight kit. Don't move on from the coarse until it feels smooth. But after its done use some kind of protectant or you will be doing it again in 6 months.

as others have said, it hasn't "developed" a coating on the top 3rd, it's lost the coating on the lower 2/3's. some careful work with a headlight restoration kit, and some UV blocking clear coat and it'll be almost as good as new.

Yeah, it hasn't "developed a coating," its LOST a coating. You can try one of the headlamp resto kits and you can probably get it pretty clear again, but the UV protection will be gone and it will deteriorate faster the 2nd time around. The anti-UV coatings in those kits help, but they're not as good as the original.

Isn't that one of the years of Freightliner that uses the exact same headlamp as a Mercedes M-class SUV? Might be able to get a replacement that's in better shape at a boneyard, but not likely. You'd have to hope for a garaged M-class that was taken out one day and wrecked in the side or rear end, then didn't spend too long in the sun at the junkyard. :-/

Yea, if you sand it using a kit or just go buy some 800 grit, then 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, and then either paint it with clear coat or use a plastic/headlight specific UV blocking protectant, it should look brand new.

I am surprised that DOT even allows a truck like that on the road! Aren't those inspections lot more stringent than done on a family car?

Most truck these days seems to have good aftermarket HID or LED lights on them. There must be healthy aftermarket for the full replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back