Getting streaming video from PC or laptop to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading another thread about getting PC based audio to a stereo, I thought it would be worth asking what it would take to get video from a PC to a TV.

The TV in question is an old CRT unit with the typical old 3 plug RCA aux inputs. In that other thread, I saw mention of Chromecast, would that do the trick, or am I being hamstrung by the TV's old age and it's inputs?

If I had to use a long cable of some sort, it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I'd prefer to do it wireless if possible.

Last bit of info- and this probably doesn't matter, but the PC runs on Ubuntu...

Thanks guys!

I don't recall any tuner card that had component output....the early, 14-yr old Sony video pc had an s-video output.

You will need an older tuner card with an s-video output and component audio output...and a intermediate box with s-video input and component A/V output.

Wireless is likely out.

A Chromecast requires a HDMI input on the TV, so for that era TV, a Chromecast is out of the question.

I think it would heavily rely on the output of your video card. Most video cards output VGA and HDMI currently. You are able to get a VGA to RCA adapter , but remember VGA doesn't pass audio, just video, so you will need to run another cable for audio. A simple 3.5mm to RCA audio cable will work for that.

Not sure what it is you want to stream as far as video, but you might do better just getting an older Roku if you want to do something like Netflix/Hulu/YouTube. The older Rokus have composite video (yellow/white/red plugs).

Is the CRT HD? iirc those were rare and expensive,

In not, you would be sending a high resolution image to a low res 640X480 screen... the results will look bad.

I think you should get a new TV, how big do you need?

Otherwise you spend $100-200 to connect to an old monitor and get a sub par picture

Search on slickdeals for the best prices.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Not sure what it is you want to stream as far as video, but you might do better just getting an older Roku if you want to do something like Netflix/Hulu/YouTube. The older Rokus have composite video (yellow/white/red plugs).

+1 on this idea. You can install Plex on Ubuntu as well as on Roku to stream your local video content as well.

Roku 1

51I3mLvQtiL._SL1000_.jpg

Time to upgrade? I did to a laptop with HDMI and a TV with HDMI.
It really helps.
Walmart currently has 40 inch tvs with 3 HDMI for $199.

I recently did a bunch of research and took the leap on a TCL roku tv it's 48 inch led smart tv and only about $330. I am very pleased so far, I almost spend double on a Samsung and I can barely tell a difference in the picture quality.

They have a 32 inch only $199

LOL! Yeah I suppose it's probably getting time to upgrade...

Brybo86, thanks for the heads up on the old, low res TV and high res video.

I suppose it'd be a waste of time to try and play internet streaming video through the old girl. I hate the idea of upgrading because we almost never watch television except for the occasional PBS show, but do occasionally watch some movies here and there. Lately we've taken to watching some youtube videos together like "Project Binky", the Mini Cooper build with a turbo Celica drivetrain and some of the series from the Car rags- and it's a bit cramped sitting at my desk, looking at a little 19"ish monitor.

I suppose I'll bite the bullet some day and buy a new television... But I'm not going to get in a hurry about it though.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
LOL! Yeah I suppose it's probably getting time to upgrade...

I suppose I'll bite the bullet some day and buy a new television... But I'm not going to get in a hurry about it though.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in!

I picked up a nice 23" slim Toshiba HDTV at Goodwill for $30.

Originally Posted By: sicko
I believe the Roku 2 still has composite connections, but I don't know about installing Plex on it

The old Roku 2 (2720) has composite output. The current Roku 2 (4210) does not.

Plex should work on both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back