FCD

Viscosity @ 100c = 23
Viscosity @ 40c = 158
Viscosity Index = 175
Viscosity, mPa.s –25°C TBN = 12
Specific Gravity @ 15.6°C. 0,867
Flash point = 220c
The oil in question is Valvoline VR1 10w-60 Semi Synthetic / Syn blend
A lot of people seem to say that 10w60's tend to shear due to the large spread and quantity of VII needed

Define "badly".
If it shears a grade, which is likely, it'll still be a fifty.
If it shears two grades, which it probably won't, then it's still a forty.
I don't think you'd have to worry much about this oil getting too thin in service.

I'll rather take joe90 advice and use a full synthetic 10W60. I don't see shearing being a problem when you start as a 60 grade, plus it has a high Viscosity index, but maybe it'll lead faster to sludge or somehing (than a full synth 10W60)?

There's not a lot of discussion about 10W60 oils (except Castrol TWS maybe), and I spent some time looking for heavy oil, except people on the Alfa forum saying Selenia racing cause deposits and varnish, and is too thick to protect camshafts on cold start and moderate use (extrapolating).

I take the risk of being accused of working for Total (which I'm not, I'd have nicer cars if I'd were), but their 10W60 is on the cheap side, and at least group III
smile.gif

Petronas syntium racer also got good reviews, maybe I'll try it someday (my uncle has a leaky MG, perfect testbed).

I guess you can get all the VR1 range for the same price? If yes, maybe you can start trying the 5W50 first, it if fully synthetic, starts as a 50 grade. See how it does! Or maybe try Valvoline Maxlife 10W40 first, it has seals conditionners, is on the heavy side of a 40 grade, plus is loaded with zinc and phosphorus. Maybe your engine will like it, since it is aimed to older/high mileage vehicles. Currently I can buy some online for 7,40€/L.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
I'll rather take joe90 advice and use a full synthetic 10W60. I don't see shearing being a problem when you start as a 60 grade, plus it has a high Viscosity index, but maybe it'll lead faster to sludge or somehing (than a full synth 10W60)?

There's not a lot of discussion about 10W60 oils (except Castrol TWS maybe), and I spent some time looking for heavy oil, except people on the Alfa forum saying Selenia racing cause deposits and varnish, and is too thick to protect camshafts on cold start and moderate use (extrapolating).

I take the risk of being accused of working for Total (which I'm not, I'd have nicer cars if I'd were), but their 10W60 is on the cheap side, and at least group III
smile.gif

Petronas syntium racer also got good reviews, maybe I'll try it someday (my uncle has a leaky MG, perfect testbed).

I guess you can get all the VR1 range for the same price? If yes, maybe you can start trying the 5W50 first, it if fully synthetic, starts as a 50 grade. See how it does! Or maybe try Valvoline Maxlife 10W40 first, it has seals conditionners, is on the heavy side of a 40 grade, plus is loaded with zinc and phosphorus. Maybe your engine will like it, since it is aimed to older/high mileage vehicles. Currently I can buy some online for 7,40€/L.

I'm not actually looking for an oil to use in my Capri i was just wondering! i've settled for VR1 20w50 as i said previously

Are you trying to get into the Guinness book of world records for starting a new thread on BITOG on consecutive days?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Too bad i can't find any voa or uoa's for VR1 10w60

Try to Google image search "VR1 10W60 UOA". I find alot of exotic oil uoa's doing that.

Viscosity @ 100c = 23
Viscosity @ 40c = 158
Viscosity Index = 175
Flash point = 220c
A lot of people seem to say that 10w60's tend to shear due to the large spread and quantity of VII needed

Without an HTHS value, I'd hate to guess. The viscosity index is not very high, considering the wide viscosity spread. M1 0w40 has VI of 180 with a similar spread between the w-number and the high temperature number: 0w40, 5w50, 10w60 would all be the same relative viscosity spread.

The flash point of 220C is disappointing for such a heavy oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Viscosity @ 100c = 23
Viscosity @ 40c = 158
Viscosity Index = 175
Flash point = 220c

Without an HTHS value, I'd hate to guess. The viscosity index is not very high, considering the wide viscosity spread. M1 0w40 has VI of 180 with a similar spread between the w-number and the high temperature number

The Red Line 10W-60's VI is 187, and they (Red Line) claim it is all but 'shear-proof'.
21.gif

I'd like to see a UOA of it after extended use in the Bimmer M engines which spec the TWS.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
A lot of this 'shear' is also due to fuel dilution.

This
thumbsup2.gif

And because a typical Blackstone type analysis does not actually measure the amount of fuel in a sample, it makes it very hard to determine the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back