One Final Queston: Installing a Fomoto Valve ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two vehicles of mine that MIGHT get a Fomoto valve both have plates and shields and guards around the oil pan and drain plug that limit access to that area. Think about how a Fomoto is made and has to be installed: you can't use a socket to tighten it up as you would a normal drain plug. You've got to use a flat wrench and have plenty of side access to thread it in tightly.

I need this valve the MOST on my 3.0 V6 Accord, but the way the oil pan is made there isn't room at all to install or tighten a Fomoto (the pan "falls" down or is formed down over the plug to protect it I suppose). So that vehicle is out of the question.

Any tips on how to install on vehicles with limited access due to plates and guards? Thanks.

vector_adapter_720x600.jpg

Originally Posted By: Donald
What tool do you use for the drain plug? Box end wrench? Probably a open end or flare wrench will work just fine.

I use a 6-point, snug-fitting socket to remove and tighten drain plugs. But that won't work with the Fumoto.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

The heck you say! I've never seen such a tool. This little shorty wrench (I'm sure that's not the real name) might work. Do you put a 3/8" socket drive in the square or something else?

Originally Posted By: user52165
You may need this or similar:

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/long-adl-106-for-plug-size-14mm-1-5.html

Did you check the Fumoto ap chart? What year 3.0 V-6?

Be sure to use a nipple version - attach hose and drain directly to a jug - you'll love it - not a drop spilled.

The Accord is a 2006. The adapter might work, but then there would be the delicate dance of trying to get the second set of threads tight without then over-tightening the adapter which would already be threaded and in place on the oil pan.

Here's what I mean. This is from the Fumoto website about how to use the adapter:

HOW TO INSTALL:

1. Thread the adapter into the oil pan and tighten it by the manufacture's recommended torque.
2. Thread the valve into the adapter and tighten it.

Well, when you do step #2, you will be over-tightening the adapter which you installed in step #1 and potentially stripping the threads of your oil pan.

I'll have to study on this a while . . . .

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

The heck you say! I've never seen such a tool. This little shorty wrench (I'm sure that's not the real name) might work. Do you put a 3/8" socket drive in the square or something else?

It's called a "crowfoot" or torque adapter. There is also a closed-end style torque adapter known as a "dog bone."

They come in 1/4", 3/8",and 1/2" drive depending on the size of the adapter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright
Originally Posted By: user52165
You may need this or similar:

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/long-adl-106-for-plug-size-14mm-1-5.html

Did you check the Fumoto ap chart? What year 3.0 V-6?

Be sure to use a nipple version - attach hose and drain directly to a jug - you'll love it - not a drop spilled.

The Accord is a 2006. The adapter might work, but then there would be the delicate dance of trying to get the second set of threads tight without then over-tightening the adapter which would already be threaded and in place on the oil pan.

Here's what I mean. This is from the Fumoto website about how to use the adapter:

HOW TO INSTALL:

1. Thread the adapter into the oil pan and tighten it by the manufacture's recommended torque.
2. Thread the valve into the adapter and tighten it.

Well, when you do step #2, you will be over-tightening the adapter which you installed in step #1 and potentially stripping the threads of your oil pan.

I'll have to study on this a while . . . .

You will not over torque the adapter if the valve torque is equal or lower. Example: you torque the adapter to 20 ft-lbs and the valve 20 ft-lbs. That means they're both torqued to 20 ft-lbs, not that the adapter is torqued to 40 ft-lbs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back