2017 F-Series Super Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Middle Management cant wait, and dont worry these trucks wont be used for serious work until 10 years from now in the second hand market.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Middle Management cant wait, and dont worry these trucks wont be used for serious work until 10 years from now in the second hand market.

That is the truest thing ever said on here. Most of these trucks will get pampered till paid for.

I really like them. Does anyone have info on the new 6.8L engine? Finally, aluminum body double cab and long bed!

I've never done much body work but why couldn't you just TIG weld aluminum filler rod onto a dent and pull that?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
The price difference on a door ding would be very small. PDR vendors up-charge 25% for aluminum, and a bodyshop would charge just slightly more for fixing a small dent in an aluminum panel. But these are pickup trucks, so no one's worried about door dings, right? It's not like they're $50k family hauler status symbols
crackmeup2.gif

As for the frame, C-channel frames are extremely weak when compared to a boxed frame. Anyone who's ever built anything out of metal or even wood can tell you that a boxed-in structure is wildly better. I've actually never heard anyone say question the supremacy of a boxed frame. I mean, they even mention it in TV ads. Common sense. Only on BITOG...
I've done body work, I go to my dad's body shop and help him often, he's done it for 29 years. A PDR guy can only get out little dings, which is probably 1% of damage to vehicles.

Here's an F350 I replaced the side on. A backhoe operator accidentally took the doors off of it with his bucket. I don't think a PDR guy is gonna fix that...

17e70x.jpg

Sweet. Ford doesn't usually allow sectioning of an inner B-pillar though, even though it's nice to not take the roof off
crazy2.gif

I'm talking about door dings because you were talking about door dings. Read your comment.
Lol it sections if you take a grinder with a cutting wheel to it

I don't really think it's fair to say these trucks aren't used, yes there are some mall crawlers, but I see a lot of 250/2500 and 350/3500 series trucks out on the roads pulling horse trailers , campers and such.

And usually those are fairly up level trucks.

My biggest fear with this one is how much is the price going to jump? With respect to the engines afaik "more power" and "most capable" is about all they have said.

More shops will - particularly as more of these vehicles hit the road. Friend who owns a body shop has stated that - they are making the investments in equipment, training, etc... As he said, he'd be a fool not to do so- ignore some of the most common vehicles on the road.

As he put it, things change and evolve. We have too to - not just stick our heads in the sand and wish everything was still steel...

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

That is the truest thing ever said on here. Most of these trucks will get pampered till paid for.
That is 7 years !!!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

That is 7 years !!!

Ford sells more F series trucks than anyone else and while I can't argue there will be some of these "garage queens" the majority will be put to work immediately.There is no shame having something nice and using it as needed. When I buy a new truck its for one reason, work.

I have never had the luxury of spending the kind of money needed for one of these trucks to gussie it up and park it or use it to "get groceries", but someone that does, good for them. I recently bought an F150, my first ever 1/2 ton, to use for local deliveries. The truck drives and handles much better than I had ever expected and the aluminum doesn't bother me one bit. In my opinion Ford has the aluminum figured out and welcome it to the larger trucks as an advantage not a disadvantage.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I really like them. Does anyone have info on the new 6.8L engine? Finally, aluminum body double cab and long bed!

I've never done much body work but why couldn't you just TIG weld aluminum filler rod onto a dent and pull that?

Its probably the same 6.8L V10 they've had but only available on chassis cab F450/550 like the current model. Basically to give a gasoline option to customers needing the heavy trucks.

Last edited:
Probably. Note that the V10 is also now used in the F650! Uhaul bought a bunch for their new 26' trucks, replacing the pretty well used-up ~2000-2002 GMC C4500s.

New?- aluminum is old as dirt.
My 2006 Lincoln LS V8 was Aluminum and some girl pulled out in front of me with just 3000 miles on the odometer.

Cost $6k to fix but a local shop had it back to me in 3 weeks back in 2007- so it's no hassle.

The aluminum also took all the impact. Didn't feel a thing on my end.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Probably. Note that the V10 is also now used in the F650! Uhaul bought a bunch for their new 26' trucks, replacing the pretty well used-up ~2000-2002 GMC C4500s.

Yup, you can get it in the F750 as well up to 33k GVW. Definitely see UHaul buying them to prevent issues with diesel in the DEF or vice-versa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back