Apple does not make reliable quality products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been an apple user since 2009 and have numerous products from them. All we hear now is people boasting apple for making high quality and reliable product but that has not been the case for me. Here is my list of apple products ive owned and it's problems:

2009 macbook pro - CDROM drive broken within a week
iphone 4 - battery randomly died at 1 yr mark. Home button did not respond sometimes
iphone 5 - iphone would die at 30% battery. Would not turn on it cold temps
iphone 5s - touch ID became spotty
iphone 6+ - bad front mic, it went dead
iphone 6+ (current phone) - screen display has weird lines going through it and screen has a mind of its own
2013 macbook air: some keyboard keys do not work when laptop is not a firm flat service

NO PROBLEMS:
2014 mac mini - no problems but almost never use it
2011 macbook pro - no problems
iphone 6 - no problems, but only used for a short time and gave it to my sister. Still working just fine.

I was just on the plane and realize how [censored] apple products are. Problems are not constant and reoccurring which is probably why it never occurred to me that their quality control is terrible. Since 2009, most of my apple products have given me problems. How has your apple experience been?

Not here to bash apple as i much prefer to use them over their competitors.

Last edited:
My iPhone 3GS had a battery that expanded and split the phone after about a year.

After that I did Samsung for two generations and they suffered the same failure cause by poor battery placement and heat build up. Since then I've bounced between HTC and Motorola and have never had a problem.

I've had the same Toshiba computer for almost 4 years. My wife has a MacBook Pro that has had zero problems in 3 years.

We have a house full of Apple products - 3 iPads, 2 iPods, 2 iPhones, a MacBook Pro, Apple TV, and an Apple Watch. I'm on my second iPhone, first one went 5 years with no issues, and the current one works faultlessly. All our other devices are fine. My wife got a 6s+ when they first came out, and had the same issues you mentioned - lines across the screen, and the phone had a mind of it's own. Replaced under warranty, no questions asked. So all in all, we've had a good run with Apple.

I had an iPhone 4 2012-2016. Had to exchange it under warranty for the power button. That is it.

My iPad 2 is 3.5 years old. Issue free.

My current 6s is issue free so far.

I don't consider my family an Apple family but we have had our fair-share of Apple devices:
iPhone 3GS - Bluetooth antenna died - replaced under warranty (Traded in after 3 years for $250.)
iPhone 4S - Microphone died after 3.75 years of use - cost $12 to replace it myself (Traded in after 4 years for $200.)
iPhone 5 - No issues (Still in use.)
iPhone 6 - No issues (Still in use.)
iPhone 6S - Too new to tell but no issues so far. (Still in use.)
iPad 4 - No issues (Still in use.)
iPad 4 - No issues (Still in use.)
iPad 4 - Digitizer died due to toddler abuse. Traded in for $250 credit towards new iPad.
iPad Air 2 - No issues (Still in use.)
iPad Air 2 - No issues (Still in use.)
2014 Macbook Air - No issues (Still in use.)

I am amazed at the longevity of these devices and the high residual value even after 3-4 years.

Wife and I have phones 2 years now and an I-pad, all flawless. Extended family three kids and there significant others plus in laws and many family friends i have never heard of any problems.

I can hardly wait for our laptops to die so we can get Macs.

Other than the in ability to add memory (how DUMB is that!?) and the typical home button "not so responsiveness" ..... I have loved my iDevices. They do need to catch up a bit though in terms of flexibility.

Oh and the early release of iOS 9.3 bricked my 5S, even after 2hours in store help and 2 hours over the phone help.

Apple has a exceptional user interface. Technically their products are not the latest in technology and they are expensive because they are close not open.

For non technical people and some semi-technical people, they are preferred mainly because of ease of use.

We have had excellent service from Apple products, with much less of the slowdown in performance of computers as OSs and new sw comes out, as compared to Windows platforms, which I've often run in parallel.

My iPad from 2011 or 12 still has a phenomenal battery life.

I don't see how phones, which encounter much more varied and more regular charging conditions is s good data point. Batteries swelling is a function of ambient heat soaked temperatures and is a well known phenomena of cells with electrodes wetted with liquid electrolytes.

I've owned the following Apple products and only one has given me issues.
iphone 2g
iphone 3g
iphone 3gs
iphone 4
ipad 1
Apple TV
iphone 6+
ipad air 2
ipad mini 4

The 6+ has been the only one and I mostly blame it on insufficient amount of RAM.

Last edited:
Our MacBook Air is about 4 years old and so far it's been flawless as far as faults go, same for the two ipads. Apple's ecosystem is another story.
My wife's iphone 5s is giving her trouble from time to time, but still works.

For my smartphones I stay away from apple. They are not for me. I had excellent service from my Samsung Galaxy S (it still works perfectly fine and is in the drawer somewhere). My current phone, Blackberry Z30, is about 3.5 years old and never skipped a beat thus far.

We have two old ipod's that have never given us trouble. I did however purchase an ipod touch a year ago and it randomly quit working. That's all of the apple experience I have though.

They have been OK in our house, not good, not bad, but I'm amazed how slow some things run given that it is a closed architecture. Also how difficult they make archiving and sharing photos...
Also I'm not a fan of their planned obsolescence, its just a money grab as a huge corporation with only 3-4 products could support them for a little longer...
Personally, I would never buy another apple product again, but my wife likes them and that's what they give us at work, so I'll live with it.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Personally, I would never buy another apple product again, but my wife likes them and that's what they give us at work, so I'll live with it.

It's too funny, I'm in the same boat, if it weren't for my wife, we would not have a single Apple product in our household, well maybe except the MacBook Air, that was a gift.

I've never had problems with the hardware on my Apple products. It's always been software issues related to iTunes updates.

But to be fair, most small electronics aren't going to be over engineered for reliability. We've had two Samsung phones and they both had problems after a year. Just seem fragile.

We have two Motorola phones that are pretty durable. My LG Nexus 5X has been holding up well after 7 months. No hardware or software problems.

I've owned Apple products for years. Some have been troublesome. Some good. However, the ones that had issues, were either very well used, had gotten wet, or old.

The fact is, batteries go bad. They always have, from back in your great grandfather's day, to today. So, I discount battery failures completely.

The button failures are a known issue. Apple expected better reliability. They have since added multiple contacts to prevent early failure.

They are not waterproof or sweat proof. Nor are they drop proof.

I'm an old time desktop user. Bought a beautiful iMac desktop with cordless keyboard/mouse. It's the best computer I've ever had. Performs flawlessly after four years of daily use. No issues.

I haven't had a problem. I'm even posting this from my iPhone!

Both of my iPads have been fine (lost the first one...)

My iPod touches have been fine, and my MacBook Pro from 2009 is perfect as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back