Any issue running 85w140 in place of 75w140 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

My Ranger calls for 75w140 synthetic in the rear diff. Is there any issue running 85w140 with friction modifier?

I can't see why not if its changed accordingly. Other than a minor MPG gain would there be an advantage to spending the extra dough?

This isn't a synthetic vs. conventional debate, I'm just wondering about making the switch on this upcoming change.

Thanks,

Ryan

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that either. I don't know why the FX4 rear diff is any different than say a dana 44. I ran 80/75w90 in my Jeep for as long as I owned it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Do non US vehicles spec a thicker gear oil too? Lol.
Lol if CAFE is having automakers use thinner oils in differentials, things have gone too far haha.

Haha, well, I always thought re ran pretty closely with what they specced in the US.

As for other parts of the world, I don't know.

For the few dollars difference are you willing to gamble that it will not create a problem? Ford is not known to spec an oil without a valid reason.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Do non US vehicles spec a thicker gear oil too? Lol.
Lol if CAFE is having automakers use thinner oils in differentials, things have gone too far haha.

CAFE doesn't make mfg do anything. The mfg choose how to meet the requirement.

There would be an advantage in thicker OFT and stronger components wear protection at ambient above -12*C for 85W140.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
For the few dollars difference are you willing to gamble that it will not create a problem? Ford is not known to spec an oil without a valid reason.

I'm actually leaning towards this school of thought!

I've run Delo 85w140 in my F350 for the last 10k miles. A bottle of Redline FM added for the LS.
I say you can, but most 85w140 are conventional, while every 75w140 I see is a synthetic. I chose the Delo because of the IsoSyn technology, supposedly syn performance from a conventional lube. YMMV.
FYI, NAPA is running their spring sale, Valvoline SynPower 75w140 is 14.49, buy a bucket, save 20%. A good gear lube for 12 and change ain't bad.

Using maxlife 5w-30, must be vulcan power. Or the 5w-30 is a high mile choose over the oe 20spec on the 2.3/4.0
I am not to up and up on the newer danger rangers. The rangers had the dana38, looks like a little brother to the dana44.
I see no reason to run a syn but ford did fill for lifes in axles using synthetics. I just dumped traveller 85w-140 in the 38&9 on the cousin wood bomber ranger.danger

Thanks a lot guys. I honestly don't think it'll hurt going to a conventional. I agree that they probably didn't expect it to be replaced when the specced synthetic.

Yup....it gets plenty cold up here. Possibly another reason to go synthetic....the economy on the other hand.....

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Hi folks,

My Ranger calls for 75w140 synthetic in the rear diff. Is there any issue running 85w140 with friction modifier?

I can't see why not if its changed accordingly. Other than a minor MPG gain would there be an advantage to spending the extra dough?

This isn't a synthetic vs. conventional debate, I'm just wondering about making the switch on this upcoming change.

Thanks,

Ryan

Yes:
1/ No extended power train warranty
2/ Cold use issues, but not serious ones.
3/ Potential wear rate increase if the oil is not listed as approved by Ford or a good box oil company like Liqui Moly in their USA oil finder page.

Thanks guys. I'm getting off my wallet and going synthetic. For the extra $30 I'll forget about it pretty quickly.

It'll be in there all year round and I agree, at -35....85w140 will be like tar.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Thanks guys. I'm getting off my wallet and going synthetic. For the extra $30 I'll forget about it pretty quickly. It'll be in there all year round and I agree, at -35....85w140 will be like tar.
Extra $30? Is this because it is in Canada? The diference between 85W-140 and 75W-140 at Autozone (for example) is about $5.00 (Valvoline 85W-140 versus Mobil 1 75W-140).

Yeah, it'd make you guys cringe! A good deal from what I've seen is $16.99 at napa for synthetic 75w140. Otherwise Quaker state, Lucas and RP is 21-23.99 a quart!

Conventional is like $25-30 a gallon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back