2017 F-Series Super Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boxed Frame
frown.gif
That's no good. The aluminum bodies won't rust as bad as the current Super Duties, but that fully boxed frame is going to be completely rusted out after 10 years here in NY.

I am surprised that they stuck with the live axle in the front for 4x4 models.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Boxed Frame
frown.gif
That's no good. The aluminum bodies won't rust as bad as the current Super Duties, but that fully boxed frame is going to be completely rusted out after 10 years here in NY.

I am surprised that they stuck with the live axle in the front for 4x4 models.
Probably stronger or cheaper or both.

Aluminum body, yuck. If the metal tooling is anything like the F150s, it's gonna look terrible.

Now a repair on a door ding is gonna cost 2-3x as much.

What engines are going to be a available is the bigger question. That's what is hurting Fords heavy truck line. They can't get the money for their trucks like Dodge and Chevy can because of the engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Aluminum body, yuck. If the metal tooling is anything like the F150s, it's gonna look terrible.

No it shouldn't.

If you want to speculate on the fully boxed frame durability, I'd assume we are seeing a rash of 2004 F150 trucks that are now off the road due to the frames failing... oh wait...

My 04 was actually made in 2003. The frame is fine. The body not so much...

The fear of anything new or different is bizarre on this board...

I dunno, I'd think a C frame and a boxed frame would rot out at the same rate, assuming no attempt to prevent rust. Sure, the box frame may accumulate more dirt inside it; but on my truck the C frame has a slight lip that seems to act as a dirt trap too.

Now if someone were to just wash down, I could see a C frame lasting longer. Likewise, I'd think spraying with oil would be more effect on a C, as it's harder to get oil into a box. [Yes I know there are openings, but it's nothing like the fully exposed C.]

As for body work... For this working trucks, will owners care? Use and abuse, replace every x years. If it's a big dent, replace the fender. Joe Schmoe homeowner might care, not sure about businesses.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
If you want to speculate on the fully boxed frame durability, I'd assume we are seeing a rash of 2004 F150 trucks that are now off the road due to the frames failing... oh wait...

Indeed, my Expedition frame is boxed as well. The bodies rot off these things long before any frame issues would present themselves.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
MNgopher said:

Come to NY and browse CL long enough - there are quite a few of these in junkyards from broken frames. Once the salt water gets in, it never gets out.
Indeed, my Expedition frame is boxed as well. The bodies rot off these things long before any frame issues would present themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miller88, I think you might want to fix your quote, not sure which one of us you are replying to
21.gif

And NY can't possibly be worse than Ontario in terms of road salt usage. I've been both places.

I've seen plenty of non-boxed frames on GM trucks break, and then there was the Toyota fiasco (also non-boxed). I'm not sure you can draw the parallel between boxed and rot given the equally common sighting of non-boxed ones rotting out too
21.gif

Also, I believe the GM frames are boxed now too....... And perhaps have been for a while.

Engines are going to be revised 6.7 PS and 6.2 Gas, the Chassis cab is also to be available with the V10.

There is apparently a new lighter 6 speed transmission for the F250 Gas, though I am not clear if its all Gas F250's or just the "Work Truck" (which I assume means XL)

Since I'm not interested in an F250, I doubt I will investigate it.

Originally Posted By: CT8

No it shouldn't.
Ok I exaggerated a little. Costs 45% more Link to Article

Aluminum body work requires different techniques to repair. You can't just use a standard dent puller on it that welds itself to the door.

The price difference on a door ding would be very small. PDR vendors up-charge 25% for aluminum, and a bodyshop would charge just slightly more for fixing a small dent in an aluminum panel. But these are pickup trucks, so no one's worried about door dings, right? It's not like they're $50k family hauler status symbols
crackmeup2.gif

As for the frame, C-channel frames are extremely weak when compared to a boxed frame. Anyone who's ever built anything out of metal or even wood can tell you that a boxed-in structure is wildly better. I've actually never heard anyone say question the supremacy of a boxed frame. I mean, they even mention it in TV ads. Common sense. Only on BITOG...

Here's a video that shows a Chevy with a boxed frame and Ford with an open frame having a flex-off. Boxed frame wins all day long. Check my comment history - let's just say that I'm not a shill for GM.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
The price difference on a door ding would be very small. PDR vendors up-charge 25% for aluminum, and a bodyshop would charge just slightly more for fixing a small dent in an aluminum panel. But these are pickup trucks, so no one's worried about door dings, right? It's not like they're $50k family hauler status symbols
crackmeup2.gif

As for the frame, C-channel frames are extremely weak when compared to a boxed frame. Anyone who's ever built anything out of metal or even wood can tell you that a boxed-in structure is wildly better. I've actually never heard anyone say question the supremacy of a boxed frame. I mean, they even mention it in TV ads. Common sense. Only on BITOG...
I've done body work, I go to my dad's body shop and help him often, he's done it for 29 years. A PDR guy can only get out little dings, which is probably 1% of damage to vehicles.

Here's an F350 I replaced the side on. A backhoe operator accidentally took the doors off of it with his bucket. I don't think a PDR guy is gonna fix that...

17e70x.jpg

This.
Unbelievable attitude even against ABS and airbags, collision avoidance systems.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
crackmeup2.gif

I've done body work, I go to my dad's body shop and help him often, he's done it for 29 years. A PDR guy can only get out little dings, which is probably 1% of damage to vehicles.

Here's an F350 I replaced the side on. A backhoe operator accidentally took the doors off of it with his bucket. I don't think a PDR guy is gonna fix that...

17e70x.jpg

Sweet. Ford doesn't usually allow sectioning of an inner B-pillar though, even though it's nice to not take the roof off
crazy2.gif

I'm talking about door dings because you were talking about door dings. Read your comment.

Frame flex is not as bad of a thing as people make it out to be. Easier to tweak something that is very stiff.

I'm not arguing that fully boxed isn't any better or worse - just that they collect salt and brine and rust out from the inside out.

I like the Aluminum body and solid axles. I would buy one of these trucks over the competition (even with the boxed frame). always a fan of solid axles in HD trucks and the Aluminum body won't rust like the current steel-bodied trucks!

Does this use a similar body design to the F150? The front clip on these looks much nicer as does the tail light design. Or is it different and just uses aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back