Saw B-25 yesterday, Bethalto, IL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving as it went over IL-111 on approach to St Louis Regional in Bethalto, IL.

Didn't catch any pictures, so this is probably a useless thread. However, was curious if anyone knew of any old warbirds flying out this way.

It's remarkable to see those old war birds in operation. I grew up on WWII stuff, having a dad who served 75th Div 289th Inf Reg mines platoon (anti-tank). I will always remember those evenings his friends would be over sitting outside on a summer evening when they would talk about the war. This was in the 1970's. My uncle whom I'm named after was a bombardier on a flying fortress b-17, but he never spoke about it. Not until very late in his life and then usually only with my dad. All I remember about my uncle is he was in the 8th USAAF based at Snetterton-Heath air field in England in 1943, 96th bomber group, he made it through 19 missions before they were shot down over Holland on the way back to England. He spent the rest of the war as a POW in Lufte Stalag in Barth, Pomerania.

Glad you got to see the 25, javacontour. Flying piece of American history.

My cousin was a tail gunner in a B24 liberator during WWII was shot down and spent time in a POW camp and went for a ride in a B-24 in 2001 . I was quite an emotional ride for him. The WWII vets took a licking and kept on ticking . They were toughh son of a guns to say the least.

I really enjoy looking over the old bombers. They were constructed with very conventional aviation methods and they do seem to be crude, but well made. If that makes sense.

At Sun n Fun the past few years, there were a few bombers on display and the public could go up inside. So I did. Very cool.

We have a B-25 in our local commemorative air force branch just a few miles from where I live. They had her out flying the other day. Truly spectacular sight.

I saw it at our local aviation show last year and started researching where it was from etc. I swung by the branch a few weeks ago just to chat. You can walk right up to them, touch them and look around. I had no idea you can actually join as a member/volunteer and work on the old war birds. My application is in now! I was a Aviation Electrician in the Navy, can't wait to get my hands dirty again.

Last edited:
There's a B-17 that flies into Lewis University Airport (which is right next to our office) and gives rides every year. I think it's $400 a seat. I wouldn't mind going for a ride, but I'd rather go in a fighter...like a P-51...I doubt that's gonna happen though for $400....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back