Engine Cleaning Opinion Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
I clean my engine. I've use a hose, but I don't put a lot of water around the electrical components. Then I always run the engine and go for a short drive to dry everything out.

Last edited:
I don't clean my engine or bay area. Too little reward for too much risk.

No need to clean an engine bay, other than cosmetics, usually.

Now when it comes time for an engine repair when you have to say, remove a valve cover or something, I like to spray all the dirt off the day before so that no dirt falls into the engine.

I did do an oil change on a car once and when I looked at the oil filter there was like 4 inches of dirt and mud packed all around the oil filter somehow. It was clear that dirt would cover the oil filter mounting location as soon as the oil filter was removed. I did the right thing and sprayed all the mud/dirt off with a hose and then used pressurized air to dry the water off. I have no idea how so much dirt had become trapped all around the filter like that.

There are certain circumstances where it is needed, like a build up of dirt around a seal you are removing, but as far a general maintenance goes, its unnecessary risk.

I did wash the engine of a F150 I did spark plugs on because there was a build-up of mud and dirt around the coil packs. I did it knowing that I would be removing those coil packs and blowing everything out anyway, so little risk.

Of course it's not needed. Same goes with the exterior or interior of the vehicle. We do it because it's nice to have it clean and orderly.

I've been gently wiping down and hosing my engine bays for over 30yrs. You gotta use your head when doing it is all. Not for the cleaning though.

Last edited:
I use Lemon Pledge furniture polish. Removes stuff, does not leave residue behind. Works great on the battery, too. The battery will look brand new off the shelf the day it dies. My 4Runner OEM battery lasted 11 years. I think part of that was that the furniture polish prevented any corrosion.

An engine that doesn't leak any fluids doesn't really need frequent cleaning. I have used a high pressure hose at a car wash under my hood judiously, I'm not aiming for anything on top of the motor; I'm rinsing off the mud splashed up from driving on gravel (muddy) roads to job sites in the middle of nowhere; and I've done this with the engine running.

What else I have done to the top of the motor is to use a pump type plastic garden sprayer with a strong solution of Dawn dish soap followed by a high pressure rinse at a car wash, but I'm not dumb enough to spray down the alternator, wiring terminals, PCM, air intake, belts & pulleys, etc...My main goal was to remove excess grease, oil & accumulated dirt prior to replacing gaskets or intake parts.

I also think it is a good idea to use a shop vac to pick up debris (leaves, dead bugs, loose gasket material, chunks of grease and dirt) on top of the engine prior to opening it up for any reason; the most common reason I can think of would be to replace leaking valve cover gaskets. Any debris removed by spray or vacuum is that much less to worry about falling into the engine once it is opened.

I like to keep my engine compartment clean enough to be able to spot leaks right away; but, without leaks, I think it has been close to a year since I've introduced liquid on top of the engine...And now that I'm writing about it, my purpose for cleaning was prior to replacing a leaking upper intake manifold gasket, which GM 3800's are notorious for.

Not meaning to sound arrogant, but if you don't know what a PCM is or what an alternator looks like, I agree with the article that a hose on your engine is not a good idea. “You have a kid with good intentions, a hose and a can of degreaser. And then cars won’t start.”

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I don't clean my engine or bay area. Too little reward for too much risk.

+1 I wipe it down but that's it.

I wash my engine bay everytime I wash the car, I use the soap that's left in the bucket and pour it all over the engine bay and wipe everything down with a rag, give it a good rinse then blow dry everything with an electric leaf blower then go around and blow off all the rest of the car, I start the car and let it idle while i'm drying off the car, this has worked on all my cars
cheers3.gif

I have been cleaning the engine bays of my cars for 30+ years. Maybe I have been lucky...or maybe I know where to be cautious plus a bit of luck...but I have never had any issues. I have used both pressure washers and just water hoses. Of course, I do not spray high pressure streams directly at the alternator or in hi-concentration electical wiring areas. When I want to do a really good job, I drive the front end up on ramps and wash the bottom of the engine and tranny as well as suspension components. Purple Power from Wally World is my most often used degreaser for this work. I also use a leaf blower to get rid of water in areas where it tends to pool and I run the car afterwards to dry off any remaining water. Pledge or similar products afterward can make an engine bay look like new.

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
I have been cleaning the engine bays of my cars for 30+ years. Maybe I have been lucky...or maybe I know where to be cautious plus a bit of luck...but I have never had any issues. I have used both pressure washers and just water hoses. Of course, I do not spray high pressure streams directly at the alternator or in hi-concentration electical wiring areas. When I want to do a really good job, I drive the front end up on ramps and wash the bottom of the engine and tranny as well as suspension components. Purple Power from Wally World is my most often used degreaser for this work. I also use a leaf blower to get rid of water in areas where it tends to pool and I run the car afterwards to dry off any remaining water. Pledge or similar products afterward can make an engine bay look like new.

I've washed my fair share of engines too w/o issues. My biggest fear now is the coil packs. So I've changed up my engine washing process as a result.

I think blasting the engine bay is more for making one 'feel good' than for actual results. Like t the cheap coin-ops you you alot of rich suds so as you spray them off it contrasts against the clean paint and you think you got something. Then it looks terrible the next day!

I detail my engine bay(s) frequently. I have never once had a problem with wet electrics, etc. My cleaner of choice is P21S Total Body Wash rinsed with hot water with a cone shaped water spray. I dry with compressed air then a drive very soon after finishing. I even detail the undercarriage of my 330Ci twice a year. It helps a great deal that they are California cars - the weather, you know.

Scott

My 2003 BMW 330Ci (86K miles)

My wife's 2011 BMW 328i (48K miles)

My 330Ci undercarriage. I bought it new. It's never once been driven in the rain or wet roads. That helps alot, but it looks like this all the time. As I said, it's got 86K miles on it, but it's a garage queen.

I use a few good mf towels with usually waterless wash solution and top with sonus motor kote. Keeps the engine bay looking like new.

d90deep.jpg

And people worry about some water out of a hose....

If someone blasts a computer box with a pressure washer or drowns the air box with water then they will have a problem, but people like this shouldn't be working around engine bays.

Chemical Guys Signature Orange Degreaser @ 1:6 and a hose works wonders on an engine bay. I use a leaf blower to get most of the water off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back