oregon gator blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought i would try a set of these on the zero turn. Anyone else tried them? I like that they are USA made.

[img:center][/img]

I haven't used them myself, but have sold a lot to customers, without any complaints. Seem to work as well as any other mulching blades.

for cutting grass i am not as big of a fan. I double them up and for mulching leaves in the fall they are great ! I have a Scag 48" rider and we cut 90 yards a week. I just think that the lines that are left from the standard lift blades look better. For your application it may be exactly what you like.

Originally Posted By: Rudy1999 250
for cutting grass i am not as big of a fan. I double them up and for mulching leaves in the fall they are great ! I have a Scag 48" rider and we cut 90 yards a week. I just think that the lines that are left from the standard lift blades look better. For your application it may be exactly what you like.

Thanks, i do have leaves and my toro seems to have a lot of blade speed. It tends to blow the leaves out and does to shred them much. Hoping these will do better.

The factory toro blades do cut smooth, so i don't want an uneven looking cut.

Last edited:
This will be my 2nd summer using gators on my Cub Cadet GT2550. The blades in my experience are super durable and hold their edge extremely well. Of course I almost never hit anything with my blades, but they seem to stay sharper than the OEM's. They are heavier and seem to be high quality. In my case they also seem to cut more even than the oems. Every so often in large grass I would have a streak of unmowed grass in the middle of the pass with the oems. Haven't experienced that once with the gators.

Good luck.

Best blades you can buy, IMO. I have them on two mowers and they don't seem to lose their edge. I have been told that their metal is very hard and won't bend like other blades, so you have to be careful and not hit anything substantial or you may destroy your crank. Considering their hardness, I think that might be the case.

Quote:
Thanks, i do have leaves and my toro seems to have a lot of blade speed. It tends to blow the leaves out and does to shred them much. Hoping these will do better.

The factory toro blades do cut smooth, so i don't want an uneven looking cut.

Have you tried lowering the deck. My Super Recycler does a great job of mulching leaves. I start moving the grass shorter in the fall so by the time the leaves fall I have the deck set pretty low anyway, usually on the second to last setting.

The made in Mexico blades are pretty soft steel. I much prefer the Made in USA ones.

Some decks work ok with Gator blades, some dont.

If your mower is a Toro, I will say this- Toro spends a LOT of time and energy designing their decks and blades for optimum performance. ALWAYS run OEM blades on a Toro.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The made in Mexico blades are pretty soft steel. I much prefer the Made in USA ones.

Some decks work ok with Gator blades, some dont.

If your mower is a Toro, I will say this- Toro spends a LOT of time and energy designing their decks and blades for optimum performance. ALWAYS run OEM blades on a Toro.

Thanks, its a Toro Timcutter 50" deck. The oem blades really do cut even, so we will see.

Since it's a Toro I would honestly return the gator blades to the store you bought them from and sharpen your OEM blades or buy new Toro brand blades if worn out. I think you will be much happier with the cut in the long run.

I did not know they existed. So, thanks for the post.

My JD 235 with 42 inch mulching deck is eating up blades very rapidly now. It seems that JD blade quality is not what it once was. I used to get a full "Florida" season from a set. Now, it's 3 sets per year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Since it's a Toro I would honestly return the gator blades to the store you bought them from and sharpen your OEM blades or buy new Toro brand blades if worn out. I think you will be much happier with the cut in the long run.

I bought them off amazon so i won't bother returning them. If i don't like the cut, i'll buy the toro blades and just use these for fall leaf use. I sharpen my own blades, the current set is worn out.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

My JD 235 with 42 inch mulching deck is eating up blades very rapidly now. It seems that JD blade quality is not what it once was. I used to get a full "Florida" season from a set. Now, it's 3 sets per year.

WOW 3 sets a year! You have a lot of sand?

Originally Posted By: spasm3

WOW 3 sets a year! You have a lot of sand?

Yes! And gravel too. It's a semi-rural South Florida property. I mow the weeds to make it seem like respectable people live here....

I have a set of the g6 fusion gator blades for my 318. The are thicker wider and heavier than the Deere blades and use way more horsepower and gas. The fusion coating does keep the end from wearing as bad as you can see the blade wear where the coating ends. I just side discharge with mine but those blades really do great in thick spring grass. They do good in wet grass also. They hog right through but wear the belt out quicker. They don't do very good when the gras gets dryer and thinner.

Last edited:
I put one on my Craftsman self-propelled and took it off after a few cuts. for me, on my mower, it did not distribute the grass evenly and it kicked up alot more stuff. I put the OEM blade back on.

Are you using "sand" blades? If not, look into them. Much thicker than normal blades.

I have had them on my JD 115 for almost 3 years and they cut and mulch very well. I also have a new second pair but the original ones are still cutting well. These seem to last very long compared to other blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back