Long trip, Factory Fill, Hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, tomorrow, ill be heading home to florida for a week, personal reasons.
My Veloster has 800MI on it, and its factory fill.
1200 mi trip one way
1200 mi trip back

not including a few hundred miles while visiting, thatll put me at 3200 mi

Hyundai Reccomends on the turbo, a 3k oci for FF, a 5K oci afterwards

So, Opinions?
The drip will be mostly I35, I10, I12, I75
All interstates.

ECO mode will be turned on during the highway cruising, as will cruise control.

Change it before I go? Change it while in Florida? Wait till I get back?

The car will be getting a Puro Classic and Valvoline Synpower 5w30 next

The only time it will be city driving is when I turn off 35 through temple to Houston to get on 10. which is roughly 200 miles of small towns and county roads, when I'm there, itll mostly be State roads, 60MPH avg.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I would wait until getting back, particularly because 75% of the miles will be highway, which I doubt Hyundai expects on the factory fill.

I agree....just check the level often ....

Personally , I'd wait.
Check the level at every fill up.
But ultimately it's up to you. What ever helps you sleep at night.

^^Trav is right.

The main objective in initial oil changes on a new vehicle is to facilitate the removal of harmful manufacturing and break-in debris for those interested in long engine life.

Mr. Jim Fitch, founder of Noria Corp. has authored a book "How to select an Oil and Filter for your Car or Truck" The above statement is from page 43. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=How+to+select+an+oil+and+filter+for+your+car+or+truck

Table 13 on this same page Mr. Fitch outlines his RECOMMENDATIONS for the first few oil changes: 1st oil change within 100 miles of taking possession of the vehicle; 2nd oil change 1500 miles after 1st change, 3rd oil change 3K miles after 2nd, 4th and beyond at normal intervals. Go synthetic at 4th change.

If you've never heard of Mr. Fitch or Noria; I would suggest a cursory google search; his credentials are quite impressive in the world of lubricants. His book I referenced was written way back in 2003.

Jim Fitch is the CEO and a co-founder of Noria Corporation. He has a wealth of “in the trenches” experience in lubrication, oil analysis, tribology and machinery failure investigations. Over the past two decades, Jim has presented hundreds of courses on these subjects and has published more than 200 technical articles, papers and publications. He serves as a U.S. delegate to the ISO tribology and oil analysis working group, and has been awarded numerous patents. Since 2002, Jim has also been director and board member of the International Council for Machinery Lubrication. Among his specializations are motor oil and Engine Lubrication.

I mean no "slam" to anyone on this board, there are some quite knowledgeable people on here who are experts in their fields; but I would rank Mr. Fitch right up there and take his advice over most anyone on this board.

Nevertheless, it is your vehicle and you are the one who must sleep at night with your decision. Hope you enjoy your new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
^^Trav is right.

The main objective in initial oil changes on a new vehicle is to facilitate the removal of harmful manufacturing and break-in debris for those interested in long engine life.

Mr. Jim Fitch, founder of Noria Corp. has authored a book "How to select an Oil and Filter for your Car or Truck" The above statement is from page 43. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=How+to+select+an+oil+and+filter+for+your+car+or+truck

Table 13 on this same page Mr. Fitch outlines his RECOMMENDATIONS for the first few oil changes: 1st oil change within 100 miles of taking possession of the vehicle; 2nd oil change 1500 miles after 1st change, 3rd oil change 3K miles after 2nd, 4th and beyond at normal intervals. Go synthetic at 4th change.

If you've never heard of Mr. Fitch or Noria; I would suggest a cursory google search; his credentials are quite impressive in the world of lubricants. His book I referenced was written way back in 2003.

Jim Fitch is the CEO and a co-founder of Noria Corporation. He has a wealth of “in the trenches” experience in lubrication, oil analysis, tribology and machinery failure investigations. Over the past two decades, Jim has presented hundreds of courses on these subjects and has published more than 200 technical articles, papers and publications. He serves as a U.S. delegate to the ISO tribology and oil analysis working group, and has been awarded numerous patents. Since 2002, Jim has also been director and board member of the International Council for Machinery Lubrication. Among his specializations are motor oil and Engine Lubrication.

I used to think the same as Mr. Fitch but after seeing many BITOGers change their factory fill at 7K or more and still get over 200K longevity...I don't think it matters as much any more.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I would wait until getting back, particularly because 75% of the miles will be highway, which I doubt Hyundai expects on the factory fill.

+1

Originally Posted By: Trav
It already has 700 more miles that it would have with me for the first oil change so I think you can guess my answer.

+1, now is the perfect time to get those break in metals out of there.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Trav
It already has 700 more miles that it would have with me for the first oil change so I think you can guess my answer.

+1, now is the perfect time to get those break in metals out of there.

+2. The clean oil that came out of my SRT-8 had lots of sparklies in it and I was glad to get it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back