Vehicles Without Windshield Weatherstripping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing more and more vehicles made today without Windshield Weatherstripping. My concern is rust and leaking. Anyone having any bad experiences?

This is how the windshield on the girlfriends 2014 Jetta is. VW's are supposed to have excellent rustproofing, we shall see in time!

Wouldn't the weatherstripping trap the salt underneath it and not allow it to be washed away easily?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
My concern is rust and leaking.

For vehicles with bonded-in windshields, that trim has always been cosmetic. It has zero role in any sort of sealing or rust-prevention.

I think its deletion has to do with automakers now being able to hold tighter tolerances in the fit of the glass to the pinchweld, and the trim has thus been eliminated for the reason of cost savings.

It is also possible that airflow over the vehicle is smoother without the trim sticking up. Automakers are squeezing out whatever tiny gas-mileage gain they can possibly find, what with CAFE regulations ramping up severely in the next few years.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
It is also possible that airflow over the vehicle is smoother without the trim sticking up. Automakers are squeezing out whatever tiny gas-mileage gain they can possibly find, what with CAFE regulations ramping up severely in the next few years.

With no trim, the car may be a bit more quiet at highway speeds as well.

Regarding rust, the only thing that comes to my mind is that roof edge, right on top of the windshield is now exposed, instead of being covered by a rubber piece. It may accumulate more stone chips. My grand caravan is like this, so I will see with time how it holds up.

My F150 does have a lot of chips along that roof edge above the windshield. Couple times a year I have to go up there with rubbing alcohol and touch up paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back