ACEA Rated Energy Conserving Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tooling around last night.... It seems that getting an A1/B1 rating on a 20 grade oil or an A5/B5 rating on a 30 grade oil is some what difficult!

0w-20 A1/B1
Castrol Edge
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

5w-30 A5/B5
Castrol Edge
Pennzoil Platinum
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

These were the only "Walmart" oils I could find that have This rating... Interesting

The fact that it's rare doesn't necessarily mean it's difficult. It could just mean the oil wasn't submitted for testing to that spec, or that the company simply didn't feel like trying to meet it.

You see this all the time on products from the "boutique" companies like Amsoil, Red Line, Royal Purple, etc. Their oils rarely carry third party approvals, but there's little doubt that they could pass the testing. What it does mean is that we're left with no real evidence either way. But that's another story for another thread...

Thats because europeans improve their engines...not their "CAFE" oil standard
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Thats because europeans improve their engines...not their "CAFE" oil standard
smile.gif

There are far more good engines with low oil consumption out of Japan than Europe.

Could be...as you can see in my "e-subscribtion"...I am not fan of domestic cars
smile.gif

But never the less...we are battling with fuel consumption through constant engine improvements....and not as yenks..with their "slippery" CAFE

Yes, I noticed this recently, trying to find a A3/B4 oil in America can be challenging. Just recently, if the link I posted below is correct, it seems, to Valvoline's credit that they rate their oils with both the API and ACEA but I havent confirmed it in stores yet, also check Mobile1 in the chart, its shows both your required oils.

I guess the thing is, those are European ratings and we have the API here in America so oil producers either dont confuse the issue on the oil containers here in the USA by putting ACEA on containers or more likely the European formula is a tougher standard that the oil producers do not have to meet here in the USA so they dont bother and possibly the European formula is better. (I have no idea)

I have not confirmed the accuracy of this information, yet.
Motor Oil Specialty Guide - Click

Last edited:
I would guess that reason behinde this absence of Euro energy conserving oils on the shelfs in NA is lack of market. All Euro makes use other oils.
Regular Api SN cannot meet A5/B5 standard, and thus, cannot have approvals. Those that can, do.
All ACEA spec lubricants have also Api approval. ACEA sequence are far more strict than API's.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
oils I could find that have This rating... Interesting

How many engines in the US actually call for this spec?

Could be...as you can see in my "e-subscribtion"...I am not fan of domestic cars
smile.gif

But never the less...we are battling with fuel consumption through constant engine improvements....and not as yenks..with their "slippery" CAFE

I don't think there is any evidence that Europeans have any advantage in engine refinements that improve economy. The only real advantage is the widespread use of small diesels.

Up to date downsized TGDis...TFSIs...etc (turbo gasoline engines in general)...

Have almost the same driving characheristics as small diesels...except for slightly lower torque...

2.0 TFSI I4 here has the same HP as american V8 gasoline guzler...and in addition...it could burn less than 10L/100km in every day comute to work...

Yeah...and its not just due engine refinaments...

Fuel consumption is lower also because of weight reduction...

Nobody here in EU is using truck (SUV) for daily comuting to work
smile.gif

There are tonnes of SUVs on the road. My neighbour drives X5, other one Mazda CX5. Both diesels though.

Car based SUVs are just like normal hatchbacks, only worse in every way.

Ok but there is huge difference between X5 or CX5....and for instance Ford F150 size car....

It will be like that you and I are driving Ducato Maxi 3.0 JTD on daily basis...to go to work...for shopping...for sight seeings...

It will be "waste of resources"...from european point of perspective

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
The fact that it's rare doesn't necessarily mean it's difficult. It could just mean the oil wasn't submitted for testing to that spec, or that the company simply didn't feel like trying to meet it.

I believe the ACEA Sequences are self certified. You don't submit your oil to some official lab in Europe for a stamp of approval. The standard test and pass required are published, so any big company can self test their own oils. All the big companies in Australia do it: Castrol, Shell, Valvoline, etc

Most oils in Australia have both an American API spec and a European ACEA spec. The few oils that don't have a ACEA spec are the ones with an ILSAC GF-5 spec instead (with API SN of course).

So it's API + ACEA or API + ILSAC on almost all Australian oils. Plus OEM specs like Dexos or MB 229.x, etc

There are a few cheap oils that only have API specs, but these are our "rubbish" oils. We don't have true rubbish oils like Dollar General here. But some cheap 20W-50 may be API SG, but I'm heading off track here.

The point is, if the oil companies know their oil meets a particular ACEA spec ( and they would know this) then they can claim it.

Ok but there is huge difference between X5 or CX5....and for instance Ford F150 size car....

It will be like that you and I are driving Ducato Maxi 3.0 JTD on daily basis...to go to work...for shopping...for sight seeings...

It will be "waste of resources"...from european point of perspective

Yes I understand what you are saying. Ducato Maxi is actually quite economical. Better comparison would be Daily 75c17 or 21 open bed remapped to a 250 hp. Perfect commuter there.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Huh...remaped to 250HP
smile.gif
How is this cooperating with gearbox bearings?
smile.gif

My ducato threw a bearing on 6th gear (common thing due to underconstructed gearbox) and it was stock @160HP

Last edited:
Huh...remaped to 250HP
smile.gif
How is this cooperating with gearbox bearings?
smile.gif

My ducato threw a bearing on 6th gear (common thing due to underconstructed gearbox) and it was stock @160HP

Daily is a RWD body on chassis. Big brother to a Ducato. Gearboxes are trucks, and it came with 205 hp diesel in standard.
I had Ducato 2.3 ,and Jumper 2.2. Ducato has a better engine, simply you can't put engine of a car in a commercial vehicle like PSA did. As for bearings in gearbox; you need to be gentle in first and second gear really and they work adequately than.
Van is not design to win every race on a stop
smile.gif

Had to read again your post, now see you're saying 6th gear is culprit. Is that M32, GM leftover?

Last edited:
Up to date downsized TGDis...TFSIs...etc (turbo gasoline engines in general)...

Have almost the same driving characheristics as small diesels...except for slightly lower torque...

2.0 TFSI I4 here has the same HP as american V8 gasoline guzler...and in addition...it could burn less than 10L/100km in every day comute to work...

Some American Engines make 100+ bhp per liter normally aspirated and turbo engines make as much as 180 bhp per liter.

Some of those V8 engines will burn under 8L/100km.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri

Had to read again your post, now see you're saying 6th gear is culprit. Is that M32, GM leftover?

Sorry I forgot to answer...

Mine was 2010 or 11 3.0JTD (160hp non variable turbo)...with 6gear manual transmission...I dont know wetter this was GM leftover or not...

It was working ok when I quit abd handled it to another driver...and after that I heard it threw a bearing
smile.gif

I knew that their gearboxes are delicate...and thats why I was never lugging the engine below 1800 rpms

Maybe new driver did...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back