Mustang fails Australian police trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpb

This story is a few weeks old, but I haven't seen it posted here - apologies if it has.

With production of our traditional Highway Patrol vehicles (SS Commodore and XR6 Turbo/XR8 Falcon) coming to a close by 2017, police agencies are trialing replacements. Unfortunately, it looks like Mustang didn't do so well, with the transmission overheating in a matter of minutes. Is there a specific Police Pack available in the US, with better cooling systems fitted?

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-new-ford-mustang-isnt-good-enough-for-the-nsw-police-2016-3

Wow three minutes of intense driving overheats the transmission and sends it into limp mode. Not good. I guess it's time for a bigger tranny cooler and radiator, and work from there. Hopefully for Ford it's as simple as that to fix.

I can't see any good reason why a Mustang would make a good law enforcement vehicle to begin with. Its relatively cramped, 2 door style would make it difficult for a law enforcement officer to get in or out while wearing gear, and most law enforcement officers need to carry quite a few supplies in the trunk-there's not much room in the trunk of a Mustang.

There are plenty of larger, better suited choices for law enforcement duty.

The durable legendary Crown Vic Police Interceptor had it right all the way up to the end in the USA. this Mustang story is sad.

Every level of law enforcement in my area have moved on to Ford Explorer eco boosts. There was a short time when I saw a few Chargers and Tahoe's, but now they seem to be gone. I'm actually used to SUV police now, it was really weird at first.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Every level of law enforcement in my area have moved on to Ford Explorer eco boosts. There was a short time when I saw a few Chargers and Tahoe's, but now they seem to be gone. I'm actually used to SUV police now, it was really weird at first.

I see a lot of them around here too. Ford seems to be winning the business for police use in this area.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I can't see any good reason why a Mustang would make a good law enforcement vehicle to begin with. Its relatively cramped, 2 door style would make it difficult for a law enforcement officer to get in or out while wearing gear, and most law enforcement officers need to carry quite a few supplies in the trunk-there's not much room in the trunk of a Mustang.

There are plenty of larger, better suited choices for law enforcement duty.

I agree with this comment.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
How do people take them on the track without overheating?
01.gif

Mustangs have been used for interstate highway patrol for decades. The Connecticut State Police were using them in the 70s.

Shannow...what's up with the Rozers not being able to shift a manual? Too many females on the force?

Last edited:
Bring back the Crown Vic with the 5.0 standard & optional 3.5 Ecoboost! Give it the six speed trans, make the body more aero & Ford would have a big hit with the Police / Taxi community . However they are STUPID!

Sounds like my old neighbor's Taurus- went through 3 transmissions in short order, before techs decided to flush cooler and found it completely plugged. Car did not have many miles when he bought it used from dealer.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Is there a specific Police Pack available in the US, with better cooling systems fitted?

No, not since 1993.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch

I see a lot of them around here too. Ford seems to be winning the business for police use in this area.

Same with my area. The department my dad works for has purchased two new Interceptor SUV's and are planning on two more as they continue phasing out the older vehicles. The MSHP has been adding lots of the SUV's as well.

I work for a police agency in central Texas. I'll give you some of my thoughts, we have been through several types of vehicles.

The Dodge Chargers were an OK size but were not very reliable.

The Chevy Caprice is what we were purchasing a couple years ago. They had to be custom ordered and shipped from Australia. They were fairly reliable but far too small for an officer with a gun belt, and there is no room at all when I drive one, and I do not carry a gun (I'm a civilian).

We have had best luck with two vehicles. Chevy Tahoe "Defender", and the Ford Explorer "Interceptor". The explorer is a little more refined, and the Tahoe is much larger but everyone I have driven seems to idle a little rough.

I think the sedan is going away for police work, it is too small for what these guys carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back