Is my daily commute a shirt trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as its not really cold a 10 minute highway drive should be just enough to heat up the engine oil and burn condensation off.

I would stick with a conventional as synthetic won't give you anything but longer intervals, last thing you want especially if you arent heating up the oil a lot. Just open the cap in the morning and see if there's condensation/yellow gunk on/around it.

Too many people have run too many engines too many miles in a manner similar to your use with nothing more than what in this country would be a 10W-30 conventional without issue for me to tell you to use anything other than what you've been using.
It's a cost/benefit thing.
If you lived here, you could score a couple of jugs of either M1 0W-40 or D1 5W-40 for around $21.00 the pair after MIR.
You don't have that kind of cheap synthetic availability.
Were I in your shoes, where a synthetic would cost me a whole bunch more than already expensive oil, I'd probably just stick with what I'm doing.
I don't think that the marginal benefit of a synthetic would equal the marginal cost.
It's not as though you live in an extreme climate and I'd doubt that the little Pug makes enough power to seriously beat up its oil.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Too many people have run too many engines too many miles in a manner similar to your use with nothing more than what in this country would be a 10W-30 conventional without issue for me to tell you to use anything other than what you've been using.
It's a cost/benefit thing.
If you lived here, you could score a couple of jugs of either M1 0W-40 or D1 5W-40 for around $21.00 the pair after MIR.
You don't have that kind of cheap synthetic availability.
Were I in your shoes, where a synthetic would cost me a whole bunch more than already expensive oil, I'd probably just stick with what I'm doing.
I don't think that the marginal benefit of a synthetic would equal the marginal cost.
It's not as though you live in an extreme climate and I'd doubt that the little Pug makes enough power to seriously beat up its oil.

You're right maybe a synthetic wouldn't be worth it, and yeah it makes the outrageous amount of 60 Hp

If I had to pay what you have to pay for oil, none of my cars would likely be running synthetic.
Lucky for me that oil motor oil is so cheap here.
The good news for you is that if the Pug only makes 54 bhp/liter or so, it should be pretty understressed and should live for many miles to come.

If I had to pay what you have to pay for oil, none of my cars would likely be running synthetic.
The good news for you is that if the Pug only makes 54 bhp/liter or so, it should be pretty understressed and should live for many miles to come.

Yeah you wouldn't be too comfortable paying 74 Dollars for a jug of M1 0w40 New Life

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Yeah it's ridiculously expensive, M1 15W50 4T Is 77 Dollars for the jug

This is motorcycle oil, always crazy expensive
smile.gif

I consider myself lucky, I can get Motul or Total oils for reasonable prices, for example Motul 8100 5W40 for 6€/L, 0W40 for 7.5€/L...300V for 12/13€/L. M1 0W40 is 11-12€/L, M1 5W50 is 12€/L. Of course you have to buy these online, but in local supermarkets Total Quartz 9000 5W40 is between 4,5 and 5€/L, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is usually at 5.5€/L, not that bad
smile.gif

You just have to keep an eye open to sales, on some websites or local stores, or befriend with people to get discounts lol!

Petronas Syntium 0W40 in my sig was bought for 7,37€/L online, Shell Rimula was 3,5€/L in bulk (unfortunately not available anymore). I also bought some M1 0W40 (from 2010) for 5€/L (0W oils don't sold very well around here it seems).

Oh, and mineral/semi-synth oils are cheaper, HX5 is 3€/L, HX7 ~4€/L...
You also have distributors brands (don't know where the oil come from), which are usually cheaper.

Yeah you wouldn't be too comfortable paying 74 Dollars for a jug of M1 0w40 New Life

Here, you can buy three jugs of M1 0W-40 for that amount of money.
It is hard for me to grasp just how high your motor oil prices are.

Can you guys buy oil on eBay or Amazon and see if they'll ship to your country? Not sure how that works.

I have been ordering motor oil from Germany. For example price of Total 0W30 Group IV oil was less than half of what it costs here. And that had shipping costs included.
Everyday GTX and such is cheap locally, though.

In Germany, you can get a 5-Litre jug of Mobil1 0w-40 "new life" for 32 €, if you buy online. Total Quartz 9000 energy 5w-40 could be had for only 17 €.

Shipping to Spain is insanely expensive, though: 25€

I'd suggest you look for some spanish online stores (to save on shipping cost.) Or you team up with some other guys and buy five jugs to get shipping cost per jug down.
You don't have to buy your oil at gas stations or home improvement stores. (Their prices are a complete rip-off regardless where you live.)

Edit: or coose a different german online shop: www.oeldepot24.de , who charge only 17€ for shipping to Spain.
I've repeatedly bought oil at both these shops. Usually, I got my oil at the latest two days after purchase... I can recommend them both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Can you guys buy oil on eBay or Amazon and see if they'll ship to your country? Not sure how that works.

Import tax, shipping + handling + (20-ish%) VAT over the total amount.

Originally Posted By: turboseize

In Germany, you can get a 5-Litre jug of Mobil1 0w-40 "new life" for 32 €, if you buy online. Total Quartz 9000 energy 5w-40 could be had for only 17 €.

Shipping to Spain is insanely expensive, though: 25€

I'd suggest you look for some spanish online stores (to save on shipping cost.) Or you team up with some other guys and buy five jugs to get shipping cost per jug down.
You don't have to buy your oil at gas stations or home improvement stores. (Their prices are a complete rip-off regardless where you live.)

Edit: or coose a different german online shop: www.oeldepot24.de , who charge only 17€ for shipping to Spain.
I've repeatedly bought oil at both these shops. Usually, I got my oil at the latest two days after purchase... I can recommend them both.

Or order 25 litres at a time, as the shipping costs are a flat rate for 25kg... so that's instantly 5 euro per jug...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back