Sears closing 78 K-mart/Sears stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Competition killed Sears & Kmart. I really only liked Sears for the tools and the Kenmore appliances.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Competition killed Sears & Kmart.

That's not correct. Edward Lampert and his incompetence as the CEO of Sears Holdings bears responsibility for the downward spiral of both brands. The way the various business units at Sears Holdings are managed and pitted against each other simply doesn't work.

Bummer, i like Kmart, best place to buy my wife clothes that are not funky designer carp. Also like sears. Sad that years ago Monkey Ward closed.

I really only liked Sears for the tools and the Kenmore appliances.

Me too, although every time I went there I saw tons of old stock that was covered in dust. For example, the quarts of SL oil with the faded labels that were still $10. Their business model is outdated and it's a miracle that they've made it this far. It's a shame.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

That's not correct. Edward Lampert and his incompetence as the CEO of Sears Holdings bears responsibility for the downward spiral of both brands. The way the various business units at Sears Holdings are managed and pitted against each other simply doesn't work.

All this started when Kmart decided under pressure from gun-control advocates to stop selling firearms and ammunition.

Ever since they have contracted. Kmart/Sears is just feeding of the "it's not Wal-Mart" mentality. Kmarts should be turned into "Sears" branded stores, and serious store upgrades are needed.

Dollar General has better stores. Serious management shakeup needs to happen, J.C. Penny's took out their CEO, He was on the job for 17 months when he was fired.

Last edited:
The one near me which is bout 4 miles from the girlfriends house is closing. I will hit that store Memorial Day or after to see what they clearance oil at

The article didn't say Sears was gone. No stores in my area closing. If people like to keep their local walk in stores, order from their online site instead of Amazon. I have ordered quite a bit from Sears online and picked it up in the store or got free shipping. If I need to return, I can take it to the store.

The past year I have been buying more from Sears and Kmart.

There are no physical Kmart stores here but I did purchase a jack from them. They run some deep discounts using an awards program and coupon codes.

Got a craftsman SUV jack shipped to my door for 35 dollars the other week.

Then they ran another sale, and I combined it with rewards points to get a set of tires put on my wife's car for $298 out the door. Sears branded H rated tires made by cooper.

They were over $125 cheaper than discount tire.

I don't particularly like the store, but it seems they are throwing deep discounts out there just to attract any customers at all.

I have never seen a Kmart in central Texas, and the ones in New York were dumpy garbage stores, overpriced.

In my area few customers at K Mart, but WM always has plenty of shoppers. I've noticed that in other places as well.

No surprise some are closing-especially with reports here of "I scored such and such oil at Kmart for a very low price". Can't stay in business long not selling things for a proper profit.

Last edited:
I stopped by our mall and both the tire and auto part seperate from SEARS and SEARS inside the mall are both closing June 5
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

All this started when Kmart decided under pressure from gun-control advocates to stop selling firearms and ammunition.

Firearms sales had nothing to do with it. Sears (and I'll lump Kmart into that mix as well) has been out of touch with the retail market for years. When they started having financial issues they spun off some of their valuable assets, such as Land's End, in order to raise capital. Sears has run out of assets to sell, and is beginning the slow death spiral of closing core business locations.

Not only does Sears have an identity crisis, but they've stopped investing in the brand's future, and the entire business strategy is unsustainable. They have an ever increasing amount of debt and an ever decreasing amount of equity.

Lampert has tried to run a retail organization in the same format as he has run a hedge fund portfolio. With multiple business segments competing against each other the organizational structure is now entirely decentralized. In retail, it's crucial that the organizational units cooperate with each other, but instead they're in direct competition with each other over a scarce resource base. Combine that with a balance sheet that has been effectively strip mined and you end up with a poorly managed company with a debt to equity ratio that has been severely diminished.

Make no mistake-the equity value of Sears Holdings is lurching it's way to zero, and it has nothing to do with firearms sales. The picture and problems are much, much bigger than that.

I go to SEARS after Christmas since they have tons of clearance clothing on sale plus I use the 25% off coupon in their sales flyer.

I notice the stores are always empty and few employees working if I go during the weekday.

I gave up on Sears a while ago...no selection, mediocre (at best) prices, plummeting quality, run-down stores, and absolutely zero help from employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back