Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Shocked at the empty grandstands. This used to be one of the toughest tickets in racing.

This is getting quite common at NASCAR races lately. I don't know if it's the economy, or else interest is waning.

Lack of interest. NASCAR'S popularity is waning. The cars all look the same these days. A lot of the driver's change teams and sponsor's every season. The death of Dale Earnhardt and Toyota's involvement killed it for me.

It is very expensive to go to a race. Pit/Paddock weekend passes and Sunday reserved seating was over $500 for 2 people for the Long Beach GP this weekend.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
It is very expensive to go to a race. Pit/Paddock weekend passes and Sunday reserved seating was over $500 for 2 people for the Long Beach GP this weekend.

This is hurting as well with today's horrible economy. People have about 2,000 other things they need to spend $500.00 on. The Fontana race was sparsely seated as well. Especially when compared to Indy Car races there from years ago.

It's supply and demand, only NASCAR hasn't responded on the supply side yet by lowering the tickets prices. Then maybe they'll sell more tickets.

The Chase and every "improvement" made has ruined NASCAR for me. How does a guy miss 11 races and still end up the champion? I watch a few laps of a few races now. I used to watch most every race.

^^^I don't even watch ONE lap of ANY race now (not even the two solitary road courses).
31.gif

Well said Whip!!! I used to be a big NASCAR fan and now my 8 year old son loves it so I watch "some" with him. I'm actually taking him to his second race at Richmond this weekend to a Jimmy Johnson Meet and greet (thats his driver so he's stoked!)

But what I saw last year with NASCAR GIVING the championship to Kyle Busch after missing the first entire half of the [censored] race season??! total [censored] and really ruined it for me. Then you have a consistent front runner like Johnson have a DNF or two and he isn't even in the chase??? Just proves that Toyota is BUYING their way in the sport and France has always taken the highest bidder!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
But what I saw last year with NASCAR GIVING the championship to Kyle Busch after missing the first entire half of the [censored] race season??! total [censored] and really ruined it for me. Then you have a consistent front runner like Johnson have a DNF or two and he isn't even in the chase??? Just proves that Toyota is BUYING their way in the sport and France (AND Helton) has always taken the highest bidder!

EXACTLY
what I've been saying all along (and getting dissed like crazy for it on here
mad.gif
)!

01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
But what I saw last year with NASCAR GIVING the championship to Kyle Busch after missing the first entire half of the [censored] race season??! total [censored] and really ruined it for me. Then you have a consistent front runner like Johnson have a DNF or two and he isn't even in the chase??? Just proves that Toyota is BUYING their way in the sport and France (AND Helton) has always taken the highest bidder!

EXACTLY
what I've been saying all along (and getting dissed like crazy for it on here
mad.gif
)!

01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Not from me you wont! I agree 100%

Bring back the actual factory bodywork for the supposed race cars.
Make them put the driving wheels in the same position as the ones sold on the street.
Make them use the same suspension geometry as the ones sold to you and me.
Make them use the same aerodynamics as available aftermarket to you and me.

Then you will have the racing back, as well as the fans.

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
Bring back the actual factory bodywork for the supposed race cars.
Make them put the driving wheels in the same position as the ones sold on the street.
Make them use the same suspension geometry as the ones sold to you and me.
Make them use the same aerodynamics as available aftermarket to you and me.

Then you will have the racing back, as well as the fans.

To me that's a terrible idea. You'd have 43 Chevys chasing each other. NASCAR hasn't been stock based in over 30 years. When the series' popularity exploded, they weren't stock. Get rid of the Chase, create a new points system that encourages drivers to win instead of settle for 3rd and stop micromanaging the series. I'd bet the racing would improve and fans would return.

They will NEVER return to "Stock Cars" again. The driver and fan death toll would be in the stratosphere, and NASCAR would be sued out of existence. Just as soon as one car went flying into the stands. Which would most likely happen in the first super speedway race. They can barely keep them on the track now with all of the restrictor plates and aero tricks they currently employ. If Kyle Bush would have crashed into the infield wall at Daytona last year in a "Stock Car", he would have been killed, instead of getting a broken leg.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I don't follow NASCAR. Has it lost popularity?

Yes, a lot. But you wouldn't know it by listening to the TV commentators. But when they pan the stands on race day, they are quite empty compared to what they were 10 or 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back