Yaris towing a trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously the pic above with the Smart in front of the boat is a joke, but the other Smart with an appropriately sized trailer, and the Prius with the camper trailer, are good examples that small cars can tow fine if some commonsense is used.

This is my car with my popup on it - smaller than the one attached to the Prius.

I feel this is appropriately sized for the car.

MKiyCwm.jpg

Originally Posted By: hpb
Focus would handle that easily. I regularly see Can-Am Spyders towing trailers that size!

It is very controllable with the Focus. I don't feel nervous or uncomfortable with it attached to the car. And it gets 30MPG without camping gear in it.

Originally Posted By: supton
Coleman Newport? Tiny! Looks like a nice setup though.

Columbia. I think a Newport is actually bigger. But it's the right size for me , really. I don't like tents and wanted something small that I could put in tight spots. Once I get some time, it's losing the propane tank and stove and getting a refrigerator.

Can you get a propane fridge?

Does the stove hook up outside? We like that feature, cook outside, keep a pinch of heat outside.

I will be modifying the stove to use smaller tanks and a regulator. Cooling in the popup ... seems like a good way to get some new pets.

Propane fridges are nice, but more expensive than using a small A/C fridge and inverter. Like 3-4x what I paid for the whole thing

Looks good, we are looking for a small tent trailer to tow behind the CRV. Just something simple to keep us dry. I'm thinking I might go up to 2k(loaded) with brakes but we'll see, I'll have to look at a few. Bikes, canoe, kayak all add up.

In Europe RV's and campers are small and towed by what we in the US would consider "compact" cars. They don't seem to have issues. In the US you probably need a Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins to tow a small trailer with your riding lawn mower.

Originally Posted By: Yup
In Europe RV's and campers are small and towed by what we in the US would consider "compact" cars. They don't seem to have issues. In the US you probably need a Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins to tow a small trailer with your riding lawn mower.
We like to think big in the U.S.

Different culture, different rules.

I hooked up my 2,000lb camper to my truck, drove through Boston, didn't think anything of it. Minor hit in mpg. Trailer has no brakes but it doesn't worry me; truck is hardly being asked to do anything.

It's overkill, but it's comfortable. If I had to pay $10/gallon it'd be different.

Heh, I got some odd looks when doing just that behind my Cruze. Whatever. A 500 lb mower on a 200 lb trailer along with me driving solo is within the payload of the car.

We're looking into a small hardshell unit to tow behind the car. Those things are expensive, though!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
This is my car with my popup on it - smaller than the one attached to the Prius.

I feel this is appropriately sized for the car.

MKiyCwm.jpg

That looks ok, thats a light trailer with no a/c. The only suggestion i would make is, if you don't already have a friction sway bar , i would add one. They work well on small trailers , not large ones.

One like this is about $40.

83660_1000.jpg

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribut...CFdgYgQodnbYM5w

Originally Posted By: supton
I hooked up my 2,000lb camper to my truck...It's overkill, but it's comfortable. If I had to pay $10/gallon it'd be different.

That's only around 900kg...even the Camry would've handled that without raising a sweat! And yes, I think if your fuel wasn't dirt cheap, things would indeed be different. The phrase "using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut" springs to mind
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back