Bashers against snake oil additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
What is the difference between Kreen and Marvel MO ??

Anyone got the VOA of these two oil scourers / fuel additives.

Marvel:
DrXP9OV.png

Kreen:
5mDugJ9.png

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Originally Posted By: vintageant
Supporters and Bashers, this one's for you.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4074727#Post4074727

I don't know all the details, but after a quick look, couldn't the addition of the external filter easily be the cause of the decreased wear metals in the oil?

The engine is still in the initial running in phase, so anyone who jumps to conclusions based on such a UOA needs to do their homework. The external filter could also be making a big difference.

Thanks Ramblejam for the 2 PDS copies of Kreen and MMO, they are obviously very different. Anyone got a real VOA, as I'm curious to know if they have any Mo or Bn anti wear / friction mod additives.
Disappointed they are both only HC synthetics and not the real thing!

The block might have been assempled with some special run in lube, grease or sealants AND it is probably going to dump Fe and other wear metals that were from the initial assembly anyway. The net result is a very confusing UOA where all you can confirm is that the viscosity is OK and the wear metals are trending down.
A lot of new or rebuilt engines will be running in to some extent for 50K miles (Might be 100K for a good diesel).

Last edited:
Re: VW UOA report, engine was rebuilt in 2004 and has about 20k miles on it. First OC was at 500 miles and then changed regularly at 2k miles (10 OCs later) so it's definitely not "still in the initial running in phase"

For the previous UOA it spent most of its miles in this environment:

GB%2B024A.jpg

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
I don't know all the details, but after a quick look, couldn't the addition of the external filter easily be the cause of the decreased wear metals in the oil?

What is the size of a "wear metal" particle? One that shows up in an AAS or ICP analysis.

7000 views and feedback from a good assortment of you.

Sorry to have the nerve to take such a topic on.
Doesn't hurt to get honest and not so honest opinion but bashing on such product that you may be scared to even think about putting into your crankcase or fuel tank.
Or do not trust it may be good for it or terrible to put in.
Or even transmission fluid.

Have a great day. =-)

And no I'm not against or singling out LUCAS oil stabilizer. I'm talking about the most additives offered from good to great reputable companies. Some work GREAT and some just are gimmicks that really may be the worst thing to add to your engine.

Last edited:
Molakule,
what's the function of "glycol ether" in Kreen ?

Sound like a coolant leak to me, but not up to speed with it's form/function.

I've seen brake fluid/coolant residue in re-refined fuels agglomerate the less than 5um particles that pass through the process to particles in the hgih 10s, up to the hundreds ofum and start blocking things.

I got this from the kreen msds. Not a lot of info out there on it.

KREEN
1/17/05
Page 2 of 5
SECTION 3: COMPOSITION/IN
FORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Name
CAS#
%
Severely Hydrotreated Petr
oleum Distillates
64742-52-5
15-25
Aliphatic Petroleum Dis
tillates 64742-95-6/
64742-88-7 15-25
Aliphatic Alcohols
78-92-2/123-42-2
15-25
Glycol Ether
111-76-2
5-15
Aliphatic Ketone
78-93-3
5-15
Proprietary Ingredients
Proprietary
5-15

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Molakule,
what's the function of "glycol ether" in Kreen ?

Sound like a coolant leak to me, but not up to speed with it's form/function.

I've seen brake fluid/coolant residue in re-refined fuels agglomerate the less than 5um particles that pass through the process to particles in the hgih 10s, up to the hundreds ofum and start blocking things.

It is also called:

Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether, 2-BUTOXYETHANOL, Butyl monoether glycol and

Butyl CELLOSOLVE™ Solvent (Dow name).

It is a liquid hydrocarbon solvent and surfactant, used in all kinds of products, and is fairly safe.

My Whiteboard cleaner contains 2-BUTOXYETHANOL.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back