Primewell Tires vs. Laufenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
either tire is ok. I ran primewells without any problems until they were down to markers.... 100 miles per day .

As was figured out, DT won't sell Primewell tires since they are a private label tire for sale by Firestone / Tires Plus retailers only. Thus the incorrect comment by the DT tire salesman that they were unsafe. Guessing the Firestone salesman might throw out the same line for the Discount Tire private brand labeled tires too...

In any event, would either of those be my preferred tire? No. Will they get you down the road, sure. Better those than a bald or failing set of brand name tires.

That being said, some of the suggestions for non big name brands, like Kumho, Hankook, etc... might net a better result too. I've been very happy with the Hankook's I've run...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
As was figured out, DT won't sell Primewell tires since they are a private label tire for sale by Firestone / Tires Plus retailers only.

What I'm going to say is pedantic, but just to clarify one thing, Primewell is not exactly a private label tire for Firestone.

Giti Tire owns and makes Primewell tires and their website says they sell the brand worldwide and also use the brand on heavy truck and industrial tires.

However, Firestone Complete Auto Care (and other tire retailers owned by them) may be the only company that retails them in the U.S. Perhaps Giti Tire has some kind of distribution deal through Firestone for the Primewell brand.

So, Firestone may be the only place in the U.S. that sells them, but it's not exactly a private label tire.

2ahwndj.jpg

Interestingly enough, DT does sell the GT Radial Champiro tire, which I would consider a 'sister' tire to the Primewell.

Just an observation.

However, if you're going for an inexpensive tire, why not consider the Milestar? DT Direct sells them, and they appear to be decent tires. I almost bought them for my Fusion.

I'm seeing a lot of Dextero and PrimeWell on Comcast's work vans out here. PrimeWell et al ain't my first choice, but if you need something cheap they'll work just fine.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I'm seeing a lot of Dextero and PrimeWell on Comcast's work vans out here. PrimeWell et al ain't my first choice, but if you need something cheap they'll work just fine.

They (Comcast) use Toyos due to snow here. However, I have seen many PrimeWell tires on other commercial vehicles as well. Obviously, due to commercial use these tires are not "bombs" and some fleet managers have decided there is a cost/benefit that works.

To say these tires are "dangerous" is foolhardy.

Living here in Colorado, I see a lot of snow during the winter. I looked at a lot of "budget" tires. One of the things I look at is tread design. Sipes, tread block gaps, and open shoulder design. Currently, the tires seem to be ~$80, then jump to $135+.

In the sub $100 tires, Laufenn IMO, seem to have a lot of sipes and good tread block design.
I went and looked at them at DT. The sipes in the tread blocks go down to 7/32nds with an overall tread depth of ~13/32nds. So maybe 7/32 of good traction then giving way to ok traction?

Primewell HT not so much, but I have experience with them on the snow, and they are ok, not great, but predictable.

The Hankook tire that works good is the Dynapro ATM RF10. Work great in the snow, but start at $140 in my tire size.

So i'm trying to balance good tread/snow traction with low price.

I will look into the milestar's. Saw then on a electric service truck (fleet) stopped at the light. Looked good from that brief vantage point.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
DT/AT/DTD is getting a new Pathfinder AT tire made by Hankook. From what I've seen so far, it looks close in tread pattern to the Laufenn AT (and the Hankook ATM, though less much so).

I like them better then the outgoing Kumho made Pathfinder. The Laufenn tires are in an entry level category whereas the Hankook Pathfinder AT are in the midgrade category, both being Hankook products, I'm sure there are tread compound differences to explain the pricing.

Get whatever is cheaper. They all have to pass federal safety standards, and there would be a recall if they're known to be deadly. Worst you'll see is weak sidewalls or bad traction, neither are deadly as long as you know your limits and keep an eye on the condition.

Honestly, getting new cheap tires is still safer than buying a set of used Goodyears or Michelins for the same money, cause you know those will have early signs of dry rotting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back