Stumped by a 2005 325i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever it is causing the problem is something that rotates. Control arm bushings and ball joints don't rotate; they pivot.

When the balance was Dane, did you have a Hunter Road Force Balance? That type of balance is the best & will check the tire & wheel for out of round or belt separation issues.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Whatever it is causing the problem is something that rotates. Control arm bushings and ball joints don't rotate; they pivot.

With all due respect, ball joints are most definitely a cause for steering wheel vibration.

Last edited:
Your vibration is almost certainly in the control arms. The E46 has one easily replaceable control arm bushing, (Meyle HD is ok, Lemforder is the best and all I use) and the control arm has two ball joints. It is likely one or both of these ball joints is worn and causing your vibration.

Typically a high speed vibration such as yours is caused by worn thrust arm bushings. Your lower control arm performs the function of a thrust arm.

pic01.jpg

Last edited:
Another symptom I forgot to mention is when driving at high speed (+100 km/h) I feel the steering wheel can be off-centre. When driving at low speeds it seems to be spot on.

I have a suspicion this may be related to my problem.

Even after the new tie rods and alignments.

The steering feels really good, but when driving straight at high speed the wheel is crooked.

Would this be consistent with the trailing arm bushing diagnosis? If the rear wheels are not tracking straight, you need to compensate with steering? Or perhaps the control arms?

I may do the control arms, trailing arm bushings, and rear shocks at this point.

My old E34 does something similar when the control arm bushings have ruptured and leak out the hydraulic fluid. I originally replaced them with Meyle HD arms due to the good reviews online and also due to the price differential when compared to Lemforder.

Well about a year or so later I started getting a clunking sound in the front suspension and it turns out it's the Meyle arms. Not the bushings this time (they were fine) but it was the ball joint ends, they were dry and sticking. So off they come and on go the Lemforder, for about twice the price. But so far they've been fine.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Another symptom I forgot to mention is when driving at high speed (+100 km/h) I feel the steering wheel can be off-centre. When driving at low speeds it seems to be spot on.

I have a suspicion this may be related to my problem.

Even after the new tie rods and alignments.

The steering feels really good, but when driving straight at high speed the wheel is crooked.

Would this be consistent with the trailing arm bushing diagnosis? If the rear wheels are not tracking straight, you need to compensate with steering? Or perhaps the control arms?

I may do the control arms, trailing arm bushings, and rear shocks at this point.

Trailing arms can cause this, you know they are hosed why not start with whats known to be bad first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back