Oil Dipstick Inconsistencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I've never had this problem with any other car before.

One side of my dipstick reads about 1/3" higher than the other side. This is on my Camry. The back side reads perfectly to the Full line, the front side reads quite a bit over. It's done this since I bought the car last year. This is checking the oil on a perfectly flat concrete garage floor, and anywhere else I've checked it. It does this with a hot engine that was just shut off, or with a stone cold engine and the first pull of the dipstick. Even after 5 pulls of the dipstick, it has the same inconsistencies.

I've just been keeping it topped off to the lower of the 2 just to play it safe. It burns about 1-1/2 quarts of oil over 5,000 miles so I'd like to try to keep the oil level in check easier (needs valve stem seals).

Any ideas? Maybe just a new dipstick?

Also, pictures were taken yesterday after it sat in the garage all night, it was the first pull of the dipstick. Didn't even wipe it off before the picture, looks the same after wiping then checking again.

3347juq.jpg

jag9ap.jpg

You're fine, I would just average the two and what do you have from that average? It would be just about spot on the full mark.
I wouldn't buy a new dip stick, that would be a waste of money.

Put masking tape at the full line, and slightly above it. Get some 220 grit sandpaper and slightly rough up the area below the full line and wipe the stick clean. See if that helps. I had a similar problem several years ago and that did the trick for me.

Our Subaru does this, very common and not an issue. Was recommended to use the lower of the two. I believe it is because it is going into the pan at an angle.

Simple, measure how much drains out then you know which side is accurate. Just wait till your next oci. If you really want to know you can drain it out to measure. Then dump it back in.

It's quite a bit of a difference between the front and backside of the dipstick. I'm not one of those people that the oil level has to be perfect or anything. I only check it once every month or 2, and have to add about 3/4 of a quart

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Are you looking for stuff since you didnt get a Cruze?

I'm just curious as to why there's such a big gap.

I'm actually much happier with my car than I would be with a Cruze. I prefer to be able to sit in the car without hunching over from my head hitting the ceiling, or my knees stuffed into the dash.

Now that I've seen what else is out there, I'll take my beater Camry.

Next oil change fill it with the correct amount and see where it falls. I have a Colorado at work that does the same thing. Half qt low on one side and full on the other.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Next oil change fill it with the correct amount and see where it falls. I have a Colorado at work that does the same thing. Half qt low on one side and full on the other.
Ok I'll try that.

It calls for 3.8 quarts, and I always just pour in 4 quarts and don't even check r for another month. I don't even check it after the oil change!

I'll start now. About 1-1/2 months or 2,500 miles left until the next change.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Our Subaru does this, very common and not an issue. Was recommended to use the lower of the two. I believe it is because it is going into the pan at an angle.

My XV Crosstrek gave you different dipstick readings on each side of the stick too. I didn't have this issue with the Legacy or the current Forester, which is weird, but I'm not complaining!

I've been there
Ford actually revised the design on the stick for my 6.7 powerstroke. Stab it once get a reading, stab it again,get a different reading. Best out of three?? Different reading on each side. At least you were certain there was oil down there somewhere. Using some Blackbelt google-fu I found some had luck (not me) by removing the "o" ring and pulling a reading but then I read ford redesigned the pill on the end of cable on newer models. Everything else is the same. I was worried that it would read inaccurately because ford also changed the oil pan (mine's plastic, later models stamped steel) but everything seems fine. Revised dipstick was less than $10. I regained confidence in my readings.

Originally Posted By: JTK
My XV Crosstrek gave you different dipstick readings on each side of the stick too. I didn't have this issue with the Legacy or the current Forester, which is weird, but I'm not complaining!

That's weird, because our 2015 Forester definitely does. Our Civic's dipstick is vertical, the Forester's appears to bend as it goes in.

Not that there's a huge difference between the two sides, but probably an inch or so.

Which reminds me, I should really check oil levels in both of them this weekend.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

+1

The lower of the two indicates the correct level.

No, you don't need a new dipstick.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I have the same problem. So I spin the dipstick while in place.

Similar problem with LS400. I wipe it clean on first pull, turn 180 degree then insert. The second reading has correct level on both sides.

Same problem on my 2009 subaru legacy, and other 2005-2009 legacy owners have complained about the problem too. It drives me insane, there can be up to a 1/2 quart difference front to back. I usually just split the difference, unless it's close to the low mark, then I top off anyways to be safe.

Try checking oil on a Nissan VQ35. Lol. A higher reading on one side is just some tube slop. Lowest reading is what actually hits the pool of oil. Some cars have very specific things you have to do to get a clean reading.

I thought that "AT THE FULL AT THE FULL LINE" was not an absolute requirement. Gads, we can obsess over the most unimportant things. Let us spread our wings, get a life and move on. :)) Ed

My oil levels must be exactly 93.33% of the way to the full line or i cannot sleep at night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back