BB7 maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little discussion. Its been a few years now since I've overhauled my Avid BB& disc brake calipers. This may be overkill, but they are 6 years old now and still work "better than new" (upgraded rotors and EBC pads). They were starting to feel gritty, and since I'm doing a frame swap what better time? I pull the caliper bodies apart, and remove the cable piston as well as the adjuster piston on the opposite side, clean everything up and lube the adjuster threads as well as greasing the name-sake ball bearings (3 bearings on the disc pad backing plate along with one located on the outboard adjuster center post).

Anybody else do this? Last time I used Triflow grease (the clear, not the red) and it worked well enough, but on disassembly tonight it was super tacky and loaded with grit. Any idea on a better grease for this task? The triflow certainly lasted, but turned into a sort of grinding compound. I rebuilt them with some valvoline synpower; who knows if it'll do same/better/worse but it should be adequate.

Sorry, forgot pics. Maybe tomorrow or this weekend I'll have time to wrench some more and I will try to snap a few of the front brake when I do it. Pretty easy job. just takes a little time to get it all cleaned up and put back together.

Silicone grease with PTFE for pins...everything else ceramic grease (especially for brakes...dunno its thickener) in spray (for around pistons...and underneath sliding "metals" <--- dunno right word) and on hubs that rim and hub fall apart more easily next year...

You can also use coper grease...but it might interfere with ABS/ESP sensors...you could have then mess on the road when you are braking

Sorry didnt realize that we are talking about bicycle brakes
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back