Fluid syringe that lasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Thats what Ive used, and after about five years and two fluid services, the thing won't hold fluid and leaks out the back.

Well, that really sucks, or more accurately, doesn't suck. Mine, like I said, not sure of the actual brand, but was picked up where one can pick up some decent, quality automotive tools, so either I got a good brand or I got lucky. I can't even recall what I spent! The one with the two hoses that I use as a transfer pump, I've used that a lot of times, and it hasn't failed yet.

But, I've had the spotty reliability problems with those little red transfer pumps. They all seem identical, right down to the included hardware, yet one will last for years without an issue, and the next one will work twice and be finished.

The Amsoil oil analysis pump looks high quality

G1206.jpg

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Originally Posted By: vitez
I've used dollar store turkey basters if I didn't have a proper suction gun, I kid you not. Use 'em and chuck 'em.

+1 on turkey basters. Not all that complicated.

That would take a lot of basting to get 1-2 quarts into something...

Especially something as thick as gear lube. It'd blow the knob right off the spout. Lol.

oil_analysis_pump.jpg

Here's what it looks like setup. I tried to find information about the seals but can't. I'm assuming since it's made for oil analysis the seals are compatible with gear oil for multiple uses.

There is no need for suction guns/syringes/transfer pumps/turkey basters/oil analysis pumps etc, etc.

This is what I use, and I have been using the same spout for the last 25 years

The spout screws on to litre/quart bottles and squeezing in two litres of gear oil takes all of ten minutes. No need to even wipe down the spout when handling different oils like gear oil, engine oil, ATF, PSF. I don't use it for brake fluid since the least amount of oil contamination can cause problems.

It is not practical to use this on heavy truck diffys which take 16 litres or so. There I pump it directly with a pail pump through the diffy fill hole from the 5 gal pail the oil comes in.

Walmart sells those spout/ hoses that screw into the average quart sized container. The issue there is you need to be able to hold the container higher than whatever you are adding fluid too.

Try a farm supply type store for syringes, I think our biggest one is 125cc that I use for gas and diesel fuel additives. They are years old and still work with no leaks.
My preference is the soap bottle pump though, just for speed, make sure the oil is at room temp and it pumps pretty fast.

Originally Posted By: George7941
There is no need for suction guns/syringes/transfer pumps/turkey basters/oil analysis pumps etc, etc.

The spout screws on to litre/quart bottles and squeezing in two litres of gear oil takes all of ten minutes. No need to even wipe down the spout when handling different oils like gear oil, engine oil, ATF, PSF. I don't use it for brake fluid since the least amount of oil contamination can cause problems.

It is not practical to use this on heavy truck diffys which take 16 litres or so. There I pump it directly with a pail pump through the diffy fill hole from the 5 gal pail the oil comes in.

You're not aware of all geometries/scenarios, and that's fine, but some things have very limited access.
My diff for example has very limited access that a bottle like that wouldn't fit.

0D6785D6-46E1-47BF-8A90-9B5470629823_zpsqud4ctuh.jpg

The MT fill hole has enough space for an 8mm male hex socket on a torque wrench with a fat head, with a cm to spare. Not going to fit a bottle like that.

Lower unit full pumps work decently for shallow containers. Not sure they will last any better though...

I have found the Motive Power Fill to be worthwhile. I have used it for several MTF, ATF, and diff oil changes on several cars, primarily BMW's. And it's made in the US, which was a nice bonus.

After dealing with leaking or messy fluid and transfer pumps, it's been nice.

Originally Posted By: George7941

You're not aware of all geometries/scenarios, and that's fine, but some things have very limited access.
My diff for example has very limited access that a bottle like that wouldn't fit.

0D6785D6-46E1-47BF-8A90-9B5470629823_zpsqud4ctuh.jpg

The MT fill hole has enough space for an 8mm male hex socket on a torque wrench with a fat head, with a cm to spare. Not going to fit a bottle like that.

Lower unit full pumps work decently for shallow containers. Not sure they will last any better though...

Try one of the hefty rubber ones made for filling car batteries. Mine has held up thru the years with gas and oil. I have been using a pump for a boat's lower unit lately though. Fits right on a quart and has a flexible hose.

For filling my AT, I used a cheap garden sprayer. I cut off the spray wand and put a length of vinyl tubing on. The cheap ones can be bought for around $10, made of PE and if you don't fill them too full nothing touches the fluid but the tank interior and the piping/hose (all plastic). When finished unscrew/remove the pump and rinse out with denatured alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back