Good maker for a car bra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I wouldn't mind spending the money on the clear thing, but will it mask the smaller/lighter blemishes in the paint?

The chips I covered with clear film were pretty small so I wasn't too worried about them. They're less visible but you can still see them through the film. It probably would have been better to touch them up first, though a raised touch up might be visible too.

When I bought my last car I took it straight to the clear film application place to have it applied.

I'm very happy with the clear film. I wouldn't consider buying a new car and not have it applied.

I'll definitely do that on my next car, or if I have the bumper repainted on this one. My idea was that the bra would look better than chipped paint, true, and be cheaper than a repaint. But if the bra doesn't hold up to rain -- and if you have to take it off to let the paint breathe (my climate should be nicknamed "Habitat for Humidity") -- then there may be drawbacks to this.

I'll stop by the body shop where I had the Regal worked on before, and ask what he thinks. He's always tried to save me money. The car is otherwise is top shape and I love driving it, so spending a little dough on a cosmetic upgrade may be worth doing.

Careful on the clear bra. I got my whole front of the 06 Accord covered in that. Installed when I got the car in 06. About 2 years ago it started cracking. Then the bugs started sticking to it. It's almost impossible to clean bug guts off of it now. Decided to just take it off, but I guess it has bonded molecularly with it because this stuff just ain't coming off. It looked good for about the first 5-6 years, but then that was it.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Careful on the clear bra. I got my whole front of the 06 Accord covered in that. Installed when I got the car in 06. About 2 years ago it started cracking. Then the bugs started sticking to it. It's almost impossible to clean bug guts off of it now. Decided to just take it off, but I guess it has bonded molecularly with it because this stuff just ain't coming off. It looked good for about the first 5-6 years, but then that was it.

Which brand? Also is it just coming off in small pieces?

3M....can't even get it to come off of the paint. I'm thinking all the years in Oklahoma sun probably damaged it somehow.

3M....can't even get it to come off of the paint. I'm thinking all the years in Oklahoma sun probably damaged it somehow.

You may need to use some steam to help release it I would visit a 3M dealer so you don't ruin your paint.

The yellowing is supposedly been fixed in their newer formulas.

Long term testing of these films hast really been all that shown as in your case you started getting cracking, I've seen an old porche which has some on the rear fender was all yellowed but not cracked.

On the ppf/clearbra, things have changed. So issues in the past maybe solved with the new films...PLUS many have warranties for this exact issue with lenghts of 5years and so on.

On same token, you should ask your installer these questions and be wary if something is really cheap what the issues maybe, and if it's got a 1year warranty vs a 5year warranty, you know what you're expecting for year 2 through 5.

Careful on the clear bra. I got my whole front of the 06 Accord covered in that. Installed when I got the car in 06. About 2 years ago it started cracking.

I don't have any cracking on my 2007 Accord (had it installed in the first hour of ownership, car was new) or my 2000 BMW (had it installed after I got a few chips, when the car was 3 years old). The product is 3M and noticeably clearer than the plastic they put on my 2000 Solara (installed when new).

The difference may be the environmental conditions. I keep my cars in a garage so they rarely sit in the sun. It gets quite hot here but never much over 40 degrees C (about 104 F). Cold doesn't seem to be an issue either as it occasionally gets down to -40 C or F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back