Backpacking Foods

Status
Not open for further replies.
As backpacking-camping season is upon us, I wanted to start a thread to share info on some good ideas for trail food. My main intent is to go light as possible but yet enjoy one decent meal like bacon and eggs over a weekend or a 3 day hike/camp. That having been said, i will get a package of precooked bacon and place those in a plastic bag to reduce bulkiness of the original package, for the eggs I have used egg whites, or real eggs i have cracked and placed in a tight tupper ware container, taking enough for only one meal as this can get bulky.

Question on the powdered or dried eggs, for those who have used: will these work ok for scrambled eggs or stick to what i do for one meal with the real eggs.

So obviously i also take many protein bars and have bought freeze dried Mountain house to try, but the salt seems to be high.

Any ideas you can share?

Why not just bring eggs in a hard plastic holder? In most of the world, they're stored unrefrigerated when fresh. I get it round peg in a square hole, but native state may be best.

Agree on the eggs--they last for weeks if you can get them unrefrigerated to begin with. We do that on the boat all the time. But, even though I love fresh eggs and bacon I wouldn't backpack with them since there is too high a probability of an accident and a horrible mess! I like beef jerky as a sort-of bacon like substance, and I am perfectly happy eating some with some hard cheese for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Add some dried fruit and nuts to the repast, and I am very happy. I personally skip all the expensive and usually horrible specialty backpacking food. Things like Annie's pasta bought at the supermarket tastes better, costs less, and is easier to obtain. Add some of that dried jerky and raisins to almost any noodle/cheese dish for great taste. Almonds go in the cheese dishes too. I love coffee, but almost as good is a strong black tea like Earl Grey, and easier to deal with the tea bags. Make a pot of it instead of just a cup. One bag is good for a small pot, and you can even just make sun tea by putting in a wide-mouth water bottle. Probably best to avoid most canned goods, but I do love kippered fish and sardines, and the cans are very light. Tuna and chicken can be found in sealed pouches too.

hard cheese and sausuge with garlic naan bread from Trader Joe's was our highlight lunch.

Instant potatoes with baco bits and freeze dried veggies thrown in was a tasty dinner.

We use the high salt meals also, and are okay with them. Huevos Rancheros weren't bad, actually.
I've read of one ultra-lighter that considers a king sized snickers as a meal.

Save room for hard liquor and you'll have a much better trip, too!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why not just bring eggs in a hard plastic holder? In most of the world, they're stored unrefrigerated when fresh. I get it round peg in a square hole, but native state may be best.

Then you're packing the holder, plus shells out anyways. I do think the pre-cracked eggs is recommended by some backpackers as easier to deal with, actually. Could then turn the container into trash holder afterwards.

My opinion is the mountain House foods are pretty good. the high salt on a back packing trip could be a good thing. I thing the freeze dried egg meals are soooooo bad a dog wouldn't want to eat them .

On a shorter trip boxed macaroni and cheese with a can of cream of chicken soup. Ramen minus the salty flavor packet and pre make a pesto sauce in a baggie.

Knorr side dishes doctored up with foil packets of chicken are a good cheaper alternative to Mountain house.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I thing the freeze dried egg meals are soooooo bad a dog wouldn't want to eat them .

I agree, I ate a lot of that dried egg stuff in the army and it was always very bad.

A well dried (and hot) salami, with dried pasta and sachets of tomato concentrate makes a hearty and robust meal.

I never carry food I can't fall over with, pick myself up and keep walking without a worry.

I also like to cook in one pot.

Fry the salami a little (it has enough fat, no oil needed), the add water to the pot (salami still in there), boil, add pasta, cook, add tomato concentrate. Stir, eat.

I like a good hot (adds a lot of flavour) and hard (carries well) pepperoni. But it should still have a bit of fat in there.

If you want, you can add some dried veges and herbs, or a raw onion carries well and adds a lot to the meal, but that's getting too close to officer food.

I've seen small cartons, like milk cartons with raw whipped eggs in them. About 6 large eggs in it and needs to stay cold so you would need a small cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back