0w-30 and 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I just recently put PYB 10w-30 in the Jaguar. Not a single complaint with using PYB and will likely continue to use it if I stay in the southwest, but there's a possibility I will be moving back to the Midwest. Knowing how cold it gets there and for the sake of conversation since that's the whole point of this site, which 0w-30 or 5w-30 would you pick? PYB 10w-30 was selected for low NOACK and it also seems to have the preferred conventional add pack around here. Me? I'm thinking 5w-30 Ultra or Platinum off the top of my head. I'd most likely go with synthetic for the extremely cold starts.

5W-30 QS UD is good and cheap, and right now Mobil 1 oils are reduced at Walmart. M1 5w-30 is about $23 at my store, and there are big rebates available until I think the end of May for up to 10 quarts of the stuff. That I think is one of the best deals going right now on a quality synthetic. I've used a variety of 5W-30 synthetic oils here in upstate New York and I have no problems starting down below zero.

Last edited:
Don't depend solely on the oil for "extremely cold starts" You need a garage or a pan heater or a block heater or all of the above. Me Im not killing my car with and -15F starts anymore. Ill just stay home. This cold weather start and run ruins bearings and alternators and idler pulleys and CV boots and ...... a 5w 30 is adequate. Ive had the best luck with Motul Eco-Nergy 8100 series in the cold. Just be sure to get the ILSAC low HTHS stuff ACEA A1,A5. This stuff is a REAL high % syn and its perceived performance is notably a whole class ABOVE your typical top of the walmart shelf stuff. Yes, IMMIC, it slaughters PUP and M1 for a cold winter use oil.

I live in the very NE corner of Washington State and yes we have winters of "Montana" like weather...I like 0-30w Mobil for cold starts and use it yr round in two gas rigs.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Don't depend solely on the oil for "extremely cold starts" You need a garage or a pan heater or a block heater or all of the above. Me Im not killing my car with and -15F starts anymore. Ill just stay home. This cold weather start and run ruins bearings and alternators and idler pulleys and CV boots and ...... a 5w 30 is adequate. Ive had the best luck with Motul Eco-Nergy 8100 series in the cold. Just be sure to get the ILSAC low HTHS stuff ACEA A1,A5. This stuff is a REAL high % syn and its perceived performance is notably a whole class ABOVE your typical top of the walmart shelf stuff. Yes, IMMIC, it slaughters PUP and M1 for a cold winter use oil.

Oh it would be in a garage, but not going out won't be an option. I'd be working screwy hours and starting the car in the middle of the night.

-15F I wouldn't be too concerned. I spent 10 years starting vehicles that sat outside in the interior of Alaska. Average daytime highs in the dead of winter were -35F. Of course, they all had coolant, oil pan, and battery warmers. And virtually all of them had conventional oil. Synthetics were not as widely available as they are today. Even Mobil 1 was a "boutique" oil that only a few used. I got especially sold on coolant heaters and pan warmers and still get them for my vehicles even though I now live in Iowa. They make a big difference on a cold morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back