Valvoline vs. Pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If both Valvoline synpower full synthetic and Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic we're both available and the exact same price which one would you buy and why?

whichever was less dusty.

I would lean towards the PP but only because i have existing PP, so less "mixing" if i need to combine a few quarts with some of the stash.

If i had no stash i would have no preference.

PP. It is designed for extended OCI's. Valvoline wants you to change every 5000 miles or at factory recommended intervals.

Some folks don't like sodium add packs and would therefore avoid Synpower.
Some people also like to see some moly in an oil, which Synpower lacks.
Practically speaking, I doubt you'd see much difference between the two in any way that could be measured.
I have some of each in my stash and both brands will get used with no worries either way.

Synpower hands down!! I work in a engine rebuilder shop, We know whats best here. Rarely a engine run with any Valvoline syn. oil makes it in (for a rebuild) the shop here, cly. wear and bearing is almost nonexistent with Synpower.

Valvoline vs. Pennzoil, Pennzoil hands down. Reason, years of using Pennzoil, and feedback from here on Bitog.

Based off both general consensus on BITOG, and personal experience (running PP right now in my Fusion) - I'd go with PP without a 2nd thought.

.. and I happen to also have 3 5QT Jugs of Valvoline SynPower in my stash. I just think that at the same price point, PP is a better product and thus a better value.

I said it once and I'll say it again, Valvoline probably provides better wear protection for engines that aren't known for having sludge issues and for people that tend to change their oil more frequently.

I'm sure either one would be great. I've had much better success with Valvoline rebates and contacts with customer/technical service folks. Plus it just so happens that I've used more Valvoline products over the years than SOPUS. Valvoline motor oil, ATF, etc never let me down. So I vote Valvoline.

I always leaned towards Pennzoil but I don't really like the Pennzoil Jugs they are prone to leaking because they don't have the inner seal like Valvoline does..

Shot gun I owned an engine shop up until a year ago and honestly i don't know how anyone could say one oil wears so much more or less than another. Most People don't always use the same oil all the time and most have no clue what oil is in their crankcase or what was used before they got the vehicle used.. You may like Valvoline and say its the best and who knows Maybe its better than other oils but if it was absolutely the best they would advertise it as the best and they don't and as far as i know no oil company does.
Also many of the engines we rebuilt came into the shop with other problems not related to oil.

The GTL tech of the PP is hard to beat. So is their rebate. Doubt you could frind Valv. Cheaper unless on clearance.

I generally like M1 for some other reasons, but I have used PP and Valv. FS. Between the two, PP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: anl0109
I'm sure either one would be great. I've had much better success with Valvoline rebates and contacts with customer/technical service folks. Plus it just so happens that I've used more Valvoline products over the years than SOPUS. Valvoline motor oil, ATF, etc never let me down. So I vote Valvoline.

My experience with these two oils is just the opposite .... I have used both and I like both, but I have used Pennzoil motor oil far more than Valvoline. Not that either one is better than the other, but just from my history of using Pennzoil over the years, I would most likely choose Pennzoil in this situation.

Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20
Motorcraft Oil Filter #FL-910S
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
PP. It is designed for extended OCI's. Valvoline wants you to change every 5000 miles or at factory recommended intervals.

This.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
Synpower hands down!! I work in a engine rebuilder shop, We know whats best here. Rarely a engine run with any Valvoline syn. oil makes it in (for a rebuild) the shop here, cly. wear and bearing is almost nonexistent with Synpower.

I'd love to hear a little more about this.
Synpower typically gets little love among those who really know engines, which would be those who've torn down many.
Is it really all that good?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I always leaned towards Pennzoil but I don't really like the Pennzoil Jugs they are prone to leaking because they don't have the inner seal like Valvoline does..

Shot gun I owned an engine shop up until a year ago and honestly i don't know how anyone could say one oil wears so much more or less than another. Most People don't always use the same oil all the time and most have no clue what oil is in their crankcase or what was used before they got the vehicle used.. You may like Valvoline and say its the best and who knows Maybe its better than other oils but if it was absolutely the best they would advertise it as the best and they don't and as far as i know no oil company does.
Also many of the engines we rebuilt came into the shop with other problems not related to oil.
When ever possible I ask the owner what oil was used in his/her engine before the rebuild. You get alot of feedback since i started in 1961...I also maintain a fleet with over 3.5 million miles on it and you do learn things. You asked a great question,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back