beware cheap ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 6ft werner stepladder failed (leg buckled) throwing me to the yard from 2 steps up.

unfortunately I broke my forearm/wrist badly and have a 6-8wk out of work vacation.

frown.gif

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-6-ft-A...g-366/100659875

I weigh about 200#

7000-9000$ is the ladder failure cost

wish me luck surgery tomorrow
this happened tues night 4-19

2016-04-19%2019.30.24.jpg

download_20160421_135250.jpg

that's before swelling

now fingers look like sausage

Werner ladders are not known to be cheap (as in quality of construction), so that is a shame you were hurt. I always buy the Type IA fiberglass ladders (just in case I have to perform some electrical work--even with the breaker pulled).

Good luck on the surgery and a speedy recovery.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Werner ladders are not know to be cheap

this is a 50$ home depot model that goes for 30$ frequently

bad pic of ladder looks alot worse standing up

2016-04-20%2007.59.07.jpg

spending 150$ on a better one would have saved 7000$

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Werner ladders are not known to be cheap
this is a 50$ home depot model that goes for 30$ frequently. bad pic of ladder looks alot worse standing up
You should contact Werner and see what they say. For me, all aluminum ladders feel flimsy compared to the fiberglass models. Hope your arm is better soon.

Very sorry to hear of your injury. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Your timing is very ironic. Just 2 weeks ago we had a thread with people complaining about government intervention regarding safety decals on ladders. The gist of the thread was that "any idiot can use a ladder". Who needs decals on the ladder telling us how to climb a ladder. A few of us spoke up about the thousands of ladder accidents annually.

You should follow up with the company about this, especially if any money is required out of your pocket.

One can see in your photo that there was a sideways force at the bottom and going to right. The braces forming a triangle were not strong enough to keep "box" intact.

I own the 356 225lb also 6' version of that ladder, have for some time. Lightly used, but it's been reliable. A good reminder though to inspect and use with caution always.

Sorry for your fall and break. Best wishes for successful surgery and speedy recovery.

I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.

That looks like a light duty homeowners ladder. Either way it should not have failed, especially only two steps up. I'd find a good lawyer.

Sorry to hear that, speedy recovery...

I sometimes am lazy and think that I shouldn't have bought to heaviest-duty 300 lb rated ladders when I got mine, but stuff like this makes me glad that I did.

All the best.

I would never use Werner for anything more than 4 feet off the ground-Green Bull all the way. Hope you get better, that's going to be a tough injury to get fixed.

I hope you get better soon. That said When I was young i did hot tar roofing for a bit and climbed aluminum and wooden 50' extension ladders regularly. What I learned was the legs always have to be on solid and level ground. a solid surface is a big part of a ladders structural strength.

I'm sure if you google hammer or chainsaw lawsuits you'll find plenty of ongoing cases.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your injury. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.

I bought a Versa 300 lbs aluminum folding ladder. The construction is very solid and a little heavy to move around.

I'm cheap on many things, but safety stub like ladder is not one I try to save money on.

29370139.jpg

Sorry Rand. Surgery should go fine, this routine stuff for them. Kinda like oil changes to us.
Glad you posted your weight I didn't want to ask. That should not have buckled. Deal with that part after surgery.
Keep us posted.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Sorry Rand. Surgery should go fine, this routine stuff for them. Kinda like oil changes to us.
Glad you posted your weight I didn't want to ask. That should not have buckled. Deal with that part after surgery.
Keep us posted.

fractured radius 1" from wrist
chipped ulna
wrist in 5-7 fragments

plate n screws time

Ironically I have a Vulcan ladder that is very sturdy just didnt want to get it out for 2ft

http://www.vulcanladderusa.com/17-Multi-Task-Ladder_ES-17T11G1.html

I think light duty is okay for even floors. However one odd load prior and it may have given way. Downside for sure of self employment and loss of work/pay.

Good luck with recovery.

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Situations like this make me appreciate my heavy duty fiberglass step ladders and what a bargain they really are in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back