Trying to talk some sence into my brother....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3800 always gets good mileage all highway but terrible city, as is the norm with most American V6 with 4 speed auto.

My Buick Century and 99 Taurus was the same exact way also, I could get at or around 30 mpg on the highway but 15-17 city

25 year old or a 35 year old vehicle, just flip a coin as both are probably going to be constant money pits in the years ahead.

Does he work on cars? Wouldn't replacing every electrical part on the engine in that truck cost like $200 in parts? All the hoses and belts another $100?
I guess if your grandfather fell way behind on maintenance, there could be potential issues, but if there's a stack of receipts in the glove box, it could be a reliable ride.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
25 year old or a 35 year old vehicle, just flip a coin as both are probably going to be constant money pits in the years ahead.

Agreed. Since neither the original poster nor his brother have even managed to fix all the issues with the Buick, they'd be better off getting rid of both and purchasing something less maintenance-intensive.

Take it to Autozone and get the codes read so you have a better idea what might be the issue. It's probably something simple and I would rather drive that car then that truck as my daily driver.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
Take it to Autozone and get the codes read so you have a better idea what might be the issue. It's probably something simple and I would rather drive that car then that truck as my daily driver.

Wayne

99.99% of Autozone's are not setup to scan pre OBDII vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The 3800 always gets good mileage all highway but terrible city, as is the norm with most American V6 with 4 speed auto.

My Buick Century and 99 Taurus was the same exact way also, I could get at or around 30 mpg on the highway but 15-17 city

My 2001 Taurus with the Vulcan engine could get 34MPG on the highway if I cruised between 65 and 70.

Daily commuting was around 23 or so.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Agreed. Since neither the original poster nor his brother have even managed to fix all the issues with the Buick, they'd be better off getting rid of both and purchasing something less maintenance-intensive.

Anything in his price range is going to have issues. Again, if it were my choice I would just spend the money on fixing up the Buick as it has a very solid drive train, but its not my money.

Thank you for all of your responses, I have been showing them to him...maybe he will see the light
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back