Vehicle lighting is out of control

Status
Not open for further replies.
The days of vehicles having one set of headlights are long gone. Apparently it isn't enough to have a set of headlights AND a set of driving lights on anymore, so now they have to start adding these stupid looking "mad eyebrow" lights over the headlights. What's next, flood lights around the perimeter of the entire vehicle? None of these lights (except for the headlights) are necessary at night. All they do is annoy oncoming drivers.

I'm happy as long as they don't blind me with oncoming glare. That's what I can't stand. Either oncoming or behind me. I look at what you describe as accent lighting. Which is no big deal to me.

Actually, some of the worst lights are on high-end luxury and sports cars. But, any lights can be blinding if they aren't properly aligned and if the approaching vehicles don't dim them. I was trained to look at the white line to your right so as to not stare directly at the oncoming lights and it works well to avoid getting your vision ruined.

The manufacturers have to come up with something that buyers perceive as improvements every year so adding lights is one way to day that. Same category of silliness as cell phone addiction and bottled water.

I have noticed a resent trend toward using high beams at low speeds and blinding oncoming traffic for no reason. It appears that if one is more important than others then they use their high beams without regard to the problems this might cause. Many of these more important people drive expensive cars so they probably expect others to just accept the fact that this kind of behavior is expected by those not so fortunate. The solution might be to install a "disappear" button on the dashboard of cheaper cars.

In the 70s it was chrome wheels,chrome exhaust tips,hood pins,ventshades,and chrome mudflaps.Now its HID and LED lighting.

If they are tastefully done, I think they look great and give the car a more upscale look. That being said, if / when they fail many are integrated into the actual headlight housing so the whole unit has to be replaced. Hint, they ain't cheap!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I have noticed a resent trend toward using high beams at low speeds and blinding oncoming traffic for no reason. It appears that if one is more important than others then they use their high beams without regard to the problems this might cause. Many of these more important people drive expensive cars so they probably expect others to just accept the fact that this kind of behavior is expected by those not so fortunate. The solution might be to install a "disappear" button on the dashboard of cheaper cars.
I'll take this over the people who drive with no exterior lights at all because they have lit dashboards and think that all of their lights are on...

Its the equivalent of chrome and sun visors in the old days. The crazy lighting is infact DRLs, so there is a purpose, just goofy looking. Chrome is as obnoxious during the day ad the imbeciles with HIDs in reflector headlights at night.

Every morning (before sun-up) I either get ahead of,or get behind the same lowered GM pickup with these awful welding arc blue headlights and a full array of LEDs for taillights and brake lights. His license plate is built into the tailgate and is framed in bright white rear facing LEDs. He even has the little strip that mounts between his tailgate and his roll pan to serve as an additional tail/brake light. At 14 I would have really liked this guy's truck, now I make an unnecessary detour or pit stop to get away from him.

They draw attention and possibly save lives.

Isn't this the same rationalization of obnoxiously loud motorcycle exhaust?

At least you can't hear obnoxious lighting in your living room or office.

Originally Posted By: grampi
The days of vehicles having one set of headlights are long gone. Apparently it isn't enough to have a set of headlights AND a set of driving lights on anymore, so now they have to start adding these stupid looking "mad eyebrow" lights over the headlights. .

As long as they use the "eyebrows" to satisfy daytime running light requirements instead of the godawful GM/Toyota way of using slightly dimmed high-beam headlights, I'm all for it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'm happy as long as they don't blind me with oncoming glare. That's what I can't stand. Either oncoming or behind me. I look at what you describe as accent lighting. Which is no big deal to me.

That's the problem with all of these unnecessary lights. The stupid looking "eyebrow" lights aren't bright, but those DRLs are almost always aimed so they shine directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers...my personal feeling is DRLs should turn off when the headlights come on...

Originally Posted By: Win
They draw attention and possibly save lives.

Isn't this the same rationalization of obnoxiously loud motorcycle exhaust?

At least you can't hear obnoxious lighting in your living room or office.

Loud pipes on bikes don't do a thing for safety...you can't hear them when they're coming at you, only after they've gone by...

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

thumbsup2.gif

I think using the fog lights for DRLs would be better. Also, maybe folks would stop using them when it's clear out at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back