0w 20 or 5w 20 Lexus 460 92k

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm new here my first time post and wow what a great deal of knowledge. I know its probably been asked million times but here is my situation. Just picked up a LS 460 with 92k Dealer maintained with a stack of records. Regular oil changes using "synthetic" from the dealer. Records say oil level is down 1-2 quarts between oil changes 5-7k. Not burning (smoke) and no leaks (garage floor). I use AMS in all of my other vehicles but after reading here and seeing the deals on Mobil 1 available might be a convert for this car since it holds 9qts. Anyway, we are headed into a long hot summer, oil fill cap says 0W-20 or 5W-20 . when i use search tool on AMS site it calls for 0W-20 but was thinking about the high mileage 5w-20. What would you use and why, thank you....

Last edited:
I'd give 5w20 a shot since it is spec'd and it would probably slow consumption a bit. M1 EP or HM would work well. You could always switch back to 0w20 for the winter.

Good Luck with a nice vehicle.

+1
I run 5w-20 in my cars over the 0w-20
If for nothing more most oil not on sale is cheaper and easier to get in the 5W

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'd give 5w20 a shot since it is spec'd and it would probably slow consumption a bit. M1 EP or HM would work well. You could always switch back to 0w20 for the winter.

Good Luck with a nice vehicle.

If the oil usage is a concern to you, try a HM oil. The difference between 5W-20 and 0W-20 is insignificant in your case IMO. I think MaxLife Blend is the most effective at reducing consumption, and with a 9 qt sump, extending your OCI to 10k should be doable if you're so inclined.

so the max life blend is a blend of synthetic and dino? I never thought motors should use oil and don't understand what's happening. I'm investigating the pvc and crank case breather as a culprit but perhaps thats a subject for a different forum.

i would stay all year around with the 5w20 may daughters lincoln uses only that weight and with 105,000 miles the engine inside the rocker cover where you add the oil is as shiny and new as when brand new. also all toyotas recommend that weight 5W20
cool.gif
[color:#990000][/color][size:14pt][/size]

In my Fords I use M1 0-20AFE with great results. No oil consumption, no sign of engine wear, and both engines appear to be very clean. I highly recommend M1 0-20 for engines calling for 0-20 or 5-20 oils.

Originally Posted By: f5guy
So I'm new here my first time post and wow what a great deal of knowledge. I know its probably been asked million times but here is my situation. Just picked up a LS 460 with 92k Dealer maintained with a stack of records. Regular oil changes using "synthetic" from the dealer. Records say oil level is down 1-2 quarts between oil changes 5-7k. Not burning (smoke) and no leaks (garage floor). I use AMS in all of my other vehicles but after reading here and seeing the deals on Mobil 1 available might be a convert for this car since it holds 9qts. Anyway, we are headed into a long hot summer, oil fill cap says 0W-20 or 5W-20 . when i use search tool on AMS site it calls for 0W-20 but was thinking about the high mileage 5w-20. What would you use and why, thank you....

If I was you - there would only be two oil I was looking at without going into different viscocities. Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 and Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 0W-20, not the Synpower 0W-20... Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 has proven itself through the years and is a great oil of choice all year round without comprimising fuel economy. The Maxlife FS 0W-20 is a fairly new product taht will give you nothing, but benefits all around. It will keep the fuel economy higher compared to thicker viscocities, but it will also apply the extra additives that it has towards keeping your engine clean and happy for many years to come, and it will keep your seals nice and pliable to make sure the won't crack from age and miles and cause a leak in the future. Give it a try, you won't regret it.

I recently had a conversation with an automotive engineer that may be helpful to owners of late model cars that are consuming more oil than consumers are accustomed to.
His recommendations: DO NOT CHANGE THE WEIGHT OIL THAT IS RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER.
In order to meet Federal mileage requirements car manufactures have had to redesign various components in their engines, the result is increased oil consumption (this is not a result of poor design or inferior materials,engine life will not be shortened.)
The cause of this oil consumption is a direct result of a redesign of the pistons as well as the piston rings. The pistons are now much lighter and the aluminum is much thinner than in previous engines, this results in the piston running much hotter, without adequate cooling the piston would fail. The lighter viscosity oil is needed to ensure adequate distribution of the oil to the bottom of the piston, this oil allows piston temperatures to remain within design specifications.
Acceptable oil consumption is 1 quart per 1200-1500 miles (depending on driving conditions).
Some car manufacturers are experiencing more oil consumption than others. Until research finds a solution to this problem late model engines will be consuming more oil than we have been accustomed to.

Last edited:
^^^ I think he has been brain washed. These same manufacturers recommend completely different (and usually heavier) lubes for the exact same engines worldwide.

OP, you are out of warranty and have some documented consumption. Ditch the 20 grades and try a good 5w30 as many here have already suggested.

When I run 5W30 in my Honda spec'd for 5W20 or 0W20 it rarely needs to be topped off in a 5-7K change interval.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
^^^ I think he has been brain washed. These same manufacturers recommend completely different (and usually heavier) lubes for the exact same engines worldwide.

OP, you are out of warranty and have some documented consumption. Ditch the 20 grades and try a good 5w30 as many here have already suggested.

Agree.

Or even better a 10w30 which almost always has a lower volatility.

Originally Posted By: Ziji
I recently had a conversation with an automotive engineer...
Acceptable oil consumption is 1 quart per 1200-1500 miles (depending on driving conditions)...

Acceptable to whom?

Being an owner of a fairly new vehicle and requiring 1qt top offs every 1200-1500 miles would certainly not be acceptable to me.
For the company that made the car and would have to fix this issue under warranty, sure it is acceptable to put out such ridiculous oil consumption limits.

And what kind of employee would say something outside of their official company policy?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yup
When I run 5W30 in my Honda spec'd for 5W20 or 0W20 it rarely needs to be topped off in a 5-7K change interval.

And I use 0-20 and both engines use no oil in 10K.

92k miles in a well maintained LS 460 is absolutely NOT high mileage.

I would drive it for yourself and confirm if it's actually using 2 quarts between changes.

You could drive around all day long and never go over 2500 rpm. It's not like this is a stressed engine.

My 23 year old LS burns almost nothing. Two quarts per change just sounds incredibly high.

M1 EP 0w20 would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Yup

And I use 0-20 and both engines use no oil in 10K.

+1....same here.

Have used 0w20 (Mobil 1 & QSUD) for over five years now on my 03' Ford Focus. It has never been topped off and never uses any oil.... and my OCI's have been between 8000 to 9300.

I recently had a conversation with an automotive engineer that may be helpful to owners of late model cars that are consuming more oil than consumers are accustomed to.
His recommendations: DO NOT CHANGE THE WEIGHT OIL THAT IS RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER.
In order to meet Federal mileage requirements car manufactures have had to redesign various components in their engines, the result is increased oil consumption (this is not a result of poor design or inferior materials,engine life will not be shortened.)
The cause of this oil consumption is a direct result of a redesign of the pistons as well as the piston rings. The pistons are now much lighter and the aluminum is much thinner than in previous engines, this results in the piston running much hotter, without adequate cooling the piston would fail. The lighter viscosity oil is needed to ensure adequate distribution of the oil to the bottom of the piston, this oil allows piston temperatures to remain within design specifications.
Acceptable oil consumption is 1 quart per 1200-1500 miles (depending on driving conditions).
Some car manufacturers are experiencing more oil consumption than others. Until research finds a solution to this problem late model engines will be consuming more oil than we have been accustomed to.

Mine Gott, so you agree with comments from a dealer.
I can assure you that moving from an x/20 to an 0 or 5w30 will make no real difference in wear rates. If you go up more than 2 grades, it might be pushing your luck in some types of petrol engines.
If you start burning more than 1 liter of oil every 10K miles of normal use, something is wrong (Might just be a fouled CCV). Alas the warranty figures of 1 quart or liter per 1000 miles have been included in the terms and conditions section so that the dealerships don't have to rebuild badly worn engines that are still under warranty.

Was he doing a hand stand while he was making these statements, because he was talking out his bum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back