Infiniti vk45de reccomending oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just about to order oil from amsoil for my truck an Expedition 2007, my mothers Lexus Gs430 and my 2003 Infiniti m45. This might be too expensive for me , I thought with the total coming to about 200 bucks! without filters.
Just asking for advice, Trying to find a cheaper oil that offers more protection or the same.

My infiniti m45 calls for 5w-30, and is driven in summer only, Very hard. I usually change it 5-6k intervals with a purolator pureone filter.
I live in the midwest so it gets hot and muggy quick. I have a 370z or 350z mishimoto radiator and electric fan mod. I also removed the rear thermostat and gutted my pre cats. The front thermostat is now a 170 or 180. I cant remember if I put a higher degree theromstat back in place or not. So I'm guessing my oil temps are perfect due to my coolant temps being much lower.
Daily driving is highway usually longer trips. I try to avoid shorter trips around city and walk or bike when I can. does burn a slight bit of oil. But since I switched from a mix of amsoil and some 5w-40 rotella the first oil change, then full amsoil the second. I has laying around and I've been driving very spirited on it constantly. the oil consumption had went down quite a bit. I've only put two oil changes on this motor.

My Infiniti motor I replaced after I threw a rod bearing in the old one. There was so much metal in the oil, this was coincidentally the day I was going to switch to amsoil. There is 100k on this motor.
My mothers gs430 calls for 5w-30 too. She is getting old and doesn't work or put much miles on her car, perhaps I should do an oil analysis on her vehicle.

a nice 5w-40 ACEA A3 grade in the infinity and "anything" in the lexus - unless YOU drive it and beat it:)

AFA Amsoil, you have to be specific - Amsoil markets a wide range of oils from "conventional" to synthetic. Their ATM 10w30 signature is one of the most universal oils out there - should work in most anything on the street.

Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1 would be a good replacement for the Amsoil at half the cost.

I guess I have to be the first one to let you know Purolator PureOne filters are to be avoided due to internal failures, as well as the classics. I'm guessing you don't cut open your filters or you'd know that?

AMSOIL does NOT offer any "conventional" oil at all. Only synthetics until May when they will introduce a partial syn 25w-40 for Merc marine engines.
In addition, in some of our local auto parts stores, AMSOIL's OE and XL are priced much lower than Mobil 1 on the shelf. Not 'twice' as much.

Last edited:
Click must be a fanboy and possibly a distributor.

The only line of oil that Amsoil offers that is similar to to say Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is their SS line.

Last time I checked, Amsoil SS was $10/quart.

Walmart sells 5.1 quart containers of M1 or Pennzoil for about $25. That's half as much as Amsoil. I'm guessing most people buy Amsoil because:
A.) More expensive = Better.
B.) It's harder to find = Better.

[censored] thanks you guys, Did not know the purolators were having failures. Have not been here recently. will be frequenting the forums more often. the amsoil I was using is the SS 5w-30 in both my infiniti and the lexus. I am getting amsoil dealer prices. Not sure if that makes and difference. $30 per gallon, it just adds up quick when you have two cars lexus 5.5 qts and Infiniti 6.1 qts or so.

$30/gallon is good, that's $7.5/quart you can get around $5-6/quart at Walmart prices if you choose Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum depending on the daily pricing.

I'd probably look into extended the changes since you're using Amsoil signature series you should be able to go further than normal Interval to make your money go further

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
$30/gallon is good, that's $7.5/quart you can get around $5-6/quart at Walmart prices if you choose Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum depending on the daily pricing.

I'd probably look into extended the changes since you're using Amsoil signature series you should be able to go further than normal Interval to make your money go further

If you are going to extend an OCI beyond the max figure recommended by the manufacturer, I would base that decision on a UOA, not what Amsoil say in their advertising. Amsoil like Edge and Mobil 1 is just an HC Synthetic, although it does contain more detergent additives.
Detergent additives might keep an engine clean but they will not prevent high temp shearing or fuel contamination issues. They are also no good at preventing the effects of Silicon contamination which if you push the limits can often be a deciding factors in a desert area.

To a certain extent starting with a thicker oil can help, so if you normally use a 5w20, moving to an 0 or 5w30 might be worth looking at. Changing over to a real German standard (Group 4) oil like Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech can also help with high temp shearing IF that is the issue.

I'm real careful about oil or fuel filters for my turbo diesel, so I use Bosch fuel filters and Mann oil filters, BUT only if they are stamped made in Germany. For most cars or trucks using the manufacturers filters makes sense, which is what I'm doing in effect.

Oddly enough I get lower Iron and Aluminium figures from a 17K OCI than a 10K one on a per mile basis. That was a big surprise to me, although I was using Ultra 5w40 (A3/B4).

Last edited:
If You have a Walmart around, my vote goes for Mobil 1 0w40 for the Infiniti with the mail in rebate. Either way, it is hard for me to imagine the Amsoil would give you better results than Castrol 0w40, Mobil 0w40, Rotella 5w40 or delo 5w40 all available at walmart for less than I assume you will pay for the Amsoil. As for the other car, if it is driven like a normal vehicle, I would use the factory recommended weight with the cheapest synthetic I could find, either Supertech or Quakerstate synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Click
AMSOIL does NOT offer any "conventional" oil at all. Only synthetics until May when they will introduce a partial syn 25w-40 for Merc marine engines.
In addition, in some of our local auto parts stores, AMSOIL's OE and XL are priced much lower than Mobil 1 on the shelf. Not 'twice' as much.
Like most Engineers, and noting how AMSOIL used to market in the past, I don't incorrectly call petroleum crude derived bases "synthetic". Amsoil use hydro-processed group III base oil in their lower lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back