Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put a new set of RE-71Rs on my S2000 which primarily sees track use now. After two track days at NJMP all I can say is, "wow". The grip is INSANE, not unlike the R compound tires I've driven on a couple of buddy's cars. I was giving many late model Porsches a hard time in the turns and my buddy with the exact same setup as me (and might be a slightly better driver) couldn't keep up on new Ventus RS-3's. The bad thing is the level of wear. To put it in perspective, I imagine I've only got another two track days remaining in the LF tire. In contrast, the Potenza RE-11A I'm coming from was on the car for ~8 track days and are now on my set of backup wheels. On one hand the grip is intoxicating but on the other I'm not looking forward to explaining to my wife why I need tires so often. If you want the ultimate performance tire on the market right now, this is it, but you have to be comfortable justifying the cost of consumables.

Nice. I am planning to run the RE-71R on my S2000 once the Star Specs on it are done. I want the grip but want to keep the car a street car. Everything I've heard from fellow trackjunkies is that the RE-71R is it. There is also a set of Pirellis that I'm looking at, but that might be crazy.

https://www.trackjunkies.org/

a lot of people wouldn't be interested because it is a bridgestone. I don't think they make a bad retail tire but many on here just don't like the brand. I had some Ecopias on my previous Mazda3 and they were great.

If you have a need for a tire like this, you won't be bothered by it being Bridgestone.

The anecdotal info I have heard on these is that it's basically an R-compound tire with some tread cut into it for use in the wet. That seems to make sense after hearing how fast they wear.

My PSS are fairly worn and I'm going to move up to AD08Rs soon. Discount Tire has two rebates on them now (total of $130).

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Nice. I am planning to run the RE-71R on my S2000 once the Star Specs on it are done. I want the grip but want to keep the car a street car. Everything I've heard from fellow trackjunkies is that the RE-71R is it. There is also a set of Pirellis that I'm looking at, but that might be crazy.

https://www.trackjunkies.org/

Your video was nice of your S2000. Stickier tires will be more fun.

The RE-71Rs are definitely sticky. From the people I've talked to, they're the stickiest of the current bunch of 200TW tires (and probably the shortest lived).

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
The RE-71Rs are definitely sticky. From the people I've talked to, they're the stickiest of the current bunch of 200TW tires (and probably the shortest lived).

And it seems like the 200 rating is a cheater-rating anyway. They're probably more like a 100, but Bridgestone may inflate the value so that more guys can use it in certain race classes.

Originally Posted By: dparm
And it seems like the 200 rating is a cheater-rating anyway. They're probably more like a 100, but Bridgestone may inflate the value so that more guys can use it in certain race classes.

Almost definitely. There's not much of a standard for how that rating is determined, so... It's like the 195/15 Toyo R1R. Different compound than all the other sizes (stickier and faster wearing), but still the same treadwear rating...

Discount Tire guys have told me you cannot compare the treadwear ratings between different manufacturers...which seems absurd, since it's a "standard".

The anecdotal info I have heard on these is that it's basically an R-compound tire with some tread cut into it for use in the wet. That seems to make sense after hearing how fast they wear.

Yes, it would make sense that they are actually MUCH MUCH stickier than their 200 tread wear rating would let on, given what I've heard about them.
wink.gif

It would be nice if they saw fit to EXPAND their size range on them, for the non-import, autocross/open tracking crowd.
frown.gif

The real question I have is whether or not they'll hold up for more than a few laps with me pushing on them. The Star Specs fall off after five or six laps even with me being really careful with them. Not a big deal given that they're a street tire, but not ideal, either.

robert

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Your video was nice of your S2000. Stickier tires will be more fun.

Thanks. I was laughing with a friend of mine that also drives a Miata (which is my dedicated track car) at the last event that I've become "that guy"... you know, the one with power to catch the Miata but that can't turn worth a darn.

robert

I kind of wish the RE-71R came in my size. As much of a Michelin fanboy as I am, I feel like I'd like to give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I kind of wish the RE-71R came in my size. As much of a Michelin fanboy as I am, I feel like I'd like to give it a shot.

For me, it's the ZII Star Spec that's not available in larger sizes. I'd run it in a heartbeat. I had to "settle" for the AD08R.

As I've stated; they REALLY need to expand their size line up for this tire!!
frown.gif

For me, it's the ZII Star Spec that's not available in larger sizes. I'd run it in a heartbeat. I had to "settle" for the AD08R.

I've heard great things about the Star Spec, too. Also wish I could get that in my size.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
As I've stated; they REALLY need to expand their size line up for this tire!!
frown.gif

Agreed.

FWIW, I did hear from someone at Bridgestone that they'd likely be expanding the size offerings for it in the foreseeable future. Give them a tickle if you want. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back