Blue Def

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2015 pickup uses Blue Def. Do the large truck stops have a pump like a fuel pump for Blue Def? Is that a cheap way to buy it?

If I buy it by the gallon, does the gallon come with a special spout so it stops when full?

Have not filled it yet, just reading the owners manual.

DEF is DEF. Use whatever is the cheapest and don't overstock, as DEF has a shelf life of about 6 months I believe.

As far as filling bottles, German automakers have a bottle that stops and doesn't spill anything that can be bought at their dealers. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to modify it to be refillable.

Your truck uses DEF. "Blue" is just a brand.

Yes,truck stops have a pump for DEF. I'm not sure if there is a price advantage to buying there. My 2011 Duramax uses so little DEF,I don't bother chasing truck stops to fill up.

I buy the 2.5 gallon jugs. The do have a spout,but no special device to shut off when the tank is full.

DEF does have a shelf life. The higher the temp in the area its stored,the shorter the shelf life.

A 2.5 gallon "bag in box" is the most common way to buy it. These are widely available at truck stops and parts stores.

Pump DEF at all Pilot travel centers in NY is 2.899 per gal. Only certain truck pumps have this capability. That gives you a price comparison for your area.

I just bought 2 of the Supertech 2.5 gallon jugs for 7.88 each. My DEF tank guage was just shy of Empty, so I put 1 jug in and it showed 3/4 full?? I recall reading somewhere that the DEF tank on these trucks are supposed to be 5.5 gallons, but I'm not sure now.

Originally Posted By: jfin2002
I just bought 2 of the Supertech 2.5 gallon jugs for 7.88 each. My DEF tank guage was just shy of Empty, so I put 1 jug in and it showed 3/4 full?? I recall reading somewhere that the DEF tank on these trucks are supposed to be 5.5 gallons, but I'm not sure now.

That is the capacity, the gauges on the Ram guess at the level. My dad recently bought a leftover '15 and it drives him absolutely batty. There isn't a sending unit in the tank comparable to a fuel level gauge.

As infrequent as it should need DEF, my '15 F350 goes 7,500-10,000 mi. before needing a refill, I just have the 2 1/2 gal. jugs delivered with an order of diesel fuel as I have bulk diesel.

Originally Posted By: Donald
So how many gallons of DEF is my 2015 F250 likely to hold?

5 gallons
In my '15 it goes 7,500-10,000 mi. between refills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back