Would you buy a used Audi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at a '03 Audi A4 3.0 Auto transmission AWD. It has 150,000 miles. I have never owned an Audi before. I do all my own maintenance. I can get it just below KBB value. Should I buy it?

Last edited:
37.gif
Sorry...

I have mostly owned GM / Holden cars.

Then I purchased used a 1990 Audi 90, with the 2.3L 5-cylinder engine and galvanised body. So a lot older than what you are talking about.

It was a very handsome car, with a great engine, and no rust. I did like to drive it.

But I would never buy one again. It drank oil, parts were expensive, and every year it had another issue that was expensive to fix.

Maybe the newer Audi's are better. But my next car was another GM.

The good thing is that the B6 platform was also used for the Passat so parts are plentiful and reasonably priced. I had a B6 S4 -- the car was pretty dependable.

If the car has good service records and hasn't had much in the way of random parts breaking (i.e. "it wasn't built on a day when the factory workers were drunk"), it might not be a bad buy. I don't know much about the reliability of that 3.0L 30V V6, however.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Is it a timing belt engine, was it replaced recently?

The engine has a belt. It is unknown when it was done last, I would do it right away if I bought it. I priced the cost of parts and added the cost of the car and it will come out below KBB value.

I would say you need to ask Audi-heads at Audizine or Audiforums about that powertrain combo and other idiosyncratic faults. it will be unique to each platform and powertrain. Then you have to factor in the maintenance, usage, and geographical history of the car you are looking at.

I have had Audis since ~96 and will till I die likely have my rare 1991 V8 5-speed. It's best to think about them as basically BMW-like, meaning they need attention periodically to less-than stellar engineering solutions to common issues.
wink.gif

Also ask about the quattro set up; it is not a standard system and varies from powertrain to powertrain. Some are better than others.

All that said, if you live in a place where you can use it, they can be just fantastic.

I would but not that one. I find them easy to work on. But to each there own. Not a fan of the auto trans

It would be perfect if you have the following:

Great Shop
Special Tools
Endless Money
Desire to tinker
No Need for Reliability

They really are that bad. Just run away.

I had a 2004 VW Beetle TDI that my aunt gave me, it was meticulously maintained.

Total money pit. Was on its 3rd Dual Mass Flywheel and it STILL chattered like crazy! Cost almost $2000 for the first one, second one replaced under warranty, transmission was failing too. It literally CRUNCHED when you let off the gas when it was cold. And when I say crunch, I mean CRUNCH. CV boots tearing all the time, door panels breaking, $300 in speakers dying and I replaced (2 of them), camshaft worn out, timing belt engines, A/C compressor very loud and going out, blower motor very loud, headlights burn out all the time, air bag light came on, luckily it was able to be reset set by a shop because otherwise the upholstery on the seat would have had to have been removed to replace the sensor, airbag light came on before for multiple other sensors, check engine lights, the last one for the turbo actuator sensor. It cleared itself luckily, otherwise the whole turbo has to be replaced. Volume knob going out on the stereo deck, $1000 for new radio, I tried a nice aftermarket one but it sounded weird. New door panels are literally $1000 a PIECE, used ones are impossible to come by because they break so easy and fade and get all gummy from heat. I glued and riveted the old ones back together. And I'm talking a tube of glue and 12 rivets per door panel. Seats didn't like to fold forward anymore most of the time, sunroof sometimes got stuck, windows sometimes wouldn't go up and would roll themselves back down, starter died at low mileage and so did the alternator.

I could go on and on. Endless money pit cars, I'd never own a German anything unless it was a really old BMW or Merceded diesel. Even then it's really pushing it.

My aunt's 2013 VW Beetle TDI isn't any better so far either.

Audi is the worse of the three German car makers. If you check their reliability, Audi was typically at the bottom of the list. They have gotten a little better lately, but I think for that year, it's way down the list. Getting it below KBB is just the tip of the iceberg. Most cars you can get below KBB because KBB tends to be on the high side. Try looking at Nadaguide.com, when the prices range from $1650 in rough condition to $5125 retail, the low price might be hiding some major problems.

I worked for VW/Audi around 2006. They are good cars for folks that lease and/or trade in every two years. They are over-engineered and unreliable with parts being overpriced. Too much plastic that should be aluminum. Brazilian parts with German price tags. I would NOT buy one.

There's a reason it's so cheap... Buy it and open your wallet and find out.

Mercedes, BMWs, Audis, VWs, all seem to be $50,000 cars brand new, and at only 10 years old are worth $5,000. Hmmm.

10 year old Toyota 4Runners are going for $15,000 all day long. ($30k brand new)
10 year old Camrys are going for $8,000 all day long. ($19k brand new)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back