How Abusive is Launching a Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously the drivetrain is directly impacted in many places, but what about the engine (specifically the bottom end)? Is there excess engine wear/chance for metal-on-metal contact associated with dumping the clutch on the street or on a track?

Crankshaft thrust bearing, depending on your engine. Ask the 4G63T guys about crank walk.

I'd imagine going from no load to full load all of a sudden could be [censored] on your rod bearings.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Doesn't seem to hurt the engine as much as it breaks transmissions ,spits driveshafts and rear ends.I broke all those parts in my racing days but never hurt an engine

+1

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Crankshaft thrust bearing, depending on your engine. Ask the 4G63T guys about crank walk.

I'd imagine going from no load to full load all of a sudden could be [censored] on your rod bearings.

I've seen papers that indicate momentary line contact on big ends and mains at the point of clutch droppage when the rotating assembly is suddenly forced to lose a few thousand RPM.

go to 1 min 10 sec...I love grumpy's driving.

With LOTS of hard launches (or regular track usage), a few older BMWs can develop cracks in the rear subframe or rear trailing arm mounting points (e.g. E36 M3), or where the rear subframe bolts into the unibody (e.g. E46 M3). Those failures almost never happen in street-driven cars, but they're well known and fixes are easily available.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I've seen papers that indicate momentary line contact on big ends and mains at the point of clutch droppage when the rotating assembly is suddenly forced to lose a few thousand RPM.

go to 1 min 10 sec...I love grumpy's driving.

Ronnie Sox, Mr. 4 speed, FTW.

if you ask, they're remind you that it was only a problem on 97-99's.

^^^Ouch. You can also ask the 1st gen CTS-V owners! I watched one split the halfshaft in two. Also happens on my sig car if drag radials are used.

Too much traction plus lots of power equals KABOOM...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why dump the clutch ? Why not ease the clutch pedal out as normal and then floor it ?

Stored flywheel energy! My Gremlin would lift the front tires on drag slicks when I dumped the clutch.

I see Jeep people do this a lot, then complain that their dana 30 is junk. Well, yes, if you are bouncing off the rev limiter and dump the clutch in 4LO 1st gear ... something gotta give.

For FWD and RWD Car you have fuses, when you drop the clutch they should let go
laugh.gif
AWD not so much.

Fuses = Tires

Have you ever watched the video on youtube where a 911 turbo with the PDK does like 60 back to back starts off launch control? It's pretty darn amazing that it doesn't overheat or break. But as far as launching the car it all depends on the car and the situation. I think cars with launch control are easier on the drivetrain component as a whole.

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
Have you ever watched the video on youtube where a 911 turbo with the PDK does like 60 back to back starts off launch control? It's pretty darn amazing that it doesn't overheat or break. But as far as launching the car it all depends on the car and the situation. I think cars with launch control are easier on the drivetrain component as a whole.

They probably had to over engineer the car because they knew someone was going to do it numerous times.

How abusive is relative to how hard you launch the car and how good your tires are. If you can somewhat gradually come off the line instead of just popping the clutch that makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back