FIREClean responds to Vuurwapenblog/Crisco claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Tempest
The prime job of a firearm lubricant should be to keep the weapon clean. Dissolving or suspending debris as it is made is most important to me.

Hmm, I would think the PRIMARY JOB of a lubricant, is to, well, LUBRICATE. Dissolving carbon and keeping a weapon clean would be less important than lubricating.

...and this is where the bus is missed by people are all wrapped up about EP and all that. You will shoot the barrel out before you can wear out any rifle, and most pistols of the current duty variety, before you "wore them out", even lubing them with Astroglide.

The real issue is "Does it function?"

THAT is what people want from the weapon. To have it do what it is expected to do when they expect it to do it.

To that end, the NUMBER ONE problem with SOME firearms is fouling, dirt, and debris. The better a product can suspend these contaminants and the longer it remains able to do so, the longer and better the weapon will function before some sort of PM is needed to restore it to doing what it is expected to do, when it is expected to do it. Further, the quicker this PM can be performed, and inspection of the parts done, the better, obviously. Again, a product of using the best product(s) for the task at hand.

NONE OF WHICH has ANYTHING to do with EP, anti-wear, or any of that jazz. This is what people just won't stop babbling off at the mouth about "But it has EP..." Great. Absolutely great. When was the last time you ever heard anyone say about a rifle "Well, the action's all worn. Gonna have to get a new one..." Never. It's always "The barrel/throat/etc..."

Now, 1911's and some metal frame pistols with very close clearances? There is an argument to be made for an EP and anti-wear type product, here. same with some parts on revolvers. however, by and large...EP and anti-wear doesn't mean a [censored] thing, and friction reduction is pretty minimal, too, considering every reliable weapon I have had ran fine chemically de-greased until caked on fouling caused issues. Proving that NO product will provide little enough friction for function.

Thus, I submit that grit/fouling suspension and "staying wet" are the #1 and #2 (in whatever order you like) FUNCTIONAL purposes for most lubes on most firearms.

I would consider EP to be important on guns where 2 Stainless surfaces are sliding against one another. Will reduce or eliminate galling conditions.

The rolling out of surface asperites is another major benefit.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I would consider EP to be important on guns where 2 Stainless surfaces are sliding against one another. Will reduce or eliminate galling conditions.

The rolling out of surface asperites is another major benefit.

yes. I agree 100%. There are DEFINITELY occasions where EP is a very valuable product. However, can you list a single firearm currently issued to the military, police, or even commonly carried by any civilian, which fits that definition? The only one I can come up with is a stainless SIG or 1911, both of which weigh nearly, or more than (depending) 40oz. and I cannot remember EVER seeing anyone carrying one. When HRT was issuing the Springfield 1911, it was not a solid stainless gun, either. Now HRT got smart and made Glock an approved alternative, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back