Chinese automakers are comming to US !

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM is importing China made Buick to US, and Chinese companies are coming soon. First will be BYD.

Quote:
The Chinese automaker that sold more electric cars(in China) last year than Tesla, Nissan or GM is taking a back road into the American market on a battery-powered bus.

Detouring around the cost and risk of consumer sales, BYD Co. has quietly built a U.S. business supplying rechargeable buses to environmentally-minded transit agencies. Its factory north of Los Angeles, opened in 2013, is on track to deliver 300 this year.

Quote:
The company has dipped its toe into the U.S. auto market by launching test fleets of plug-in electric taxis in Chicago and New York City.

Consumer sales are coming but BYD has yet to decide when, said Michael Austin, its vice president for the United States. He said it might start developing a sales network in the next two years.

"We have the manufacturing scale that can drive the cost to a point where we can bring vehicles to export markets including the United States, Latin America and Europe that will be game-changing," said Austin at BYD's headquarters in this southern city adjacent to Hong Kong.

Quote:
"I have no doubt BYD eventually can crack the market in Europe or the U.S.," said Cosmin Laslau, who follows the electric vehicle market for Lux Research in Boston.

It might take five to 10 years to achieve an "equal footing" with GM, Nissan or Tesla, "but it's surely doable if we look sufficiently far out," Laslau said.

"By deploying these buses first (in the United States), BYD can get an early lesson in how its batteries fare," he said. "And if they are successful, they can point to that and say the battery you are going to get in your electric vehicle has already done a half-million miles in buses."

Quote:
To reach American consumers, BYD will need to "bring something new to the table," said Laslau. He said a newcomer might target budget-minded buyers with a model priced under $35,000 with a range of at least 200 miles (320 kilometers) on a charge.

Austin said BYD can meet that today but thinks the price has to be even lower — below $30,000.

"We're not a toy for the rich," he said. "We're going after the mass market. And if you are delivering that, you have to be cost-competitive."

http://newsok.com/chinese-electric-car-maker-enters-us-market-by-selling-buses/article/feed/1000893

Parent company Geely Automobile, which bought Volvo in 2010, is seeking to prove that a Chinese company can manage a global auto brand.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/asia/shanghai-auto-show-volvo/

This article was dated year ago and the XC90 won the "SUV of the Year" award by Motor Trend magazine.

Your a little late to the party!

The Chinese will be a big of a force in the USA as the Koreans are today at some point. IMHO!

Last edited:
This globalism stuff has gone too far. People aren't dumb enough to buy Chinese cars, are they?

...I'll bet that's what they said about the Japanese automakers. Dang.

I don't mind.

They are probably better than what the big three is putting out.

*typed from my Chinese computer in front of my Chinese/Korean TV with my Chinese/Japanese smartphone to my side.

Quote:
Chinese automakers are comming to US

They have less than a year, not happening. Time to get smart.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Quote:
Chinese automakers are comming to US

They have less than a year, not happening. Time to get smart.

What does that mean Vern?

Originally Posted By: CKN
Parent company Geely Automobile, which bought Volvo in 2010, is seeking to prove that a Chinese company can manage a global auto brand.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/asia/shanghai-auto-show-volvo/

This article was dated year ago and the XC90 won the "SUV of the Year" award by Motor Trend magazine.

Your a little late to the party!

The Chinese will be a big of a force in the USA as the Koreans are today at some point. IMHO!

Geely is letting Volvo managers/engineers running the show as of now, XC was designed and built in Sweden. It isn't really a Chinese vehicle.

Quote:
At least initially, the XC90 will be made solely in Sweden. But other Volvo models are already being produced in China and Mr. Samuelsson said on Tuesday that some Chinese-made vehicles, like the S60 sedan, could be exported to the United States as soon as next year. Whether American consumers will buy a Chinese-made car is a largely untested prospect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/27/busine...rship.html?_r=0

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
This globalism stuff has gone too far. People aren't dumb enough to buy Chinese cars, are they?

...I'll bet that's what they said about the Japanese automakers. Dang.

For sure they are, look at all the other products made in China people gobble up because they are cheap.
People are more than willing to accept low quality mediocre goods for lower prices even if it cost them their own jobs.

I think Canada got a China Honda Fit for a short while before they switched to Mexico, there may even be some Chonda Fits in the USA but I dont remember.

Last edited:
I predict the domestic brands will use China for manufacture far before the Asian brands ones do.

Domestics already use Mexico and many folks accept that fine on this board and support that choice by purchasing them.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Domestics already use Mexico and many folks accept that fine on this board and support that choice by purchasing them.

Lemma fix this for you:

Domestics... and Germans... and Japanese already use Mexico...

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Lemma fix this for you:

I think the only Honda vehicle made in Mexico sold in US is CRV. Either Honda engineers in US or Japan design the vehicle, Mexican just do the assembly. Most Honda vehicles sold in US are made in US, only hybrid and fuel cell vehicles are made in Japan.

So far CRV is as reliable as any compact CUV/SUV on market.

Last edited:
Domestics already use Mexico

And BMW, and Mercedes, and Toyota, et al. Google it. LOL

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Lemma fix this for you:

I think the only Honda vehicle made in Mexico sold in US is CRV. Either Honda engineers in US or Japan design the vehicle, Mexican just do the assembly. Most Honda vehicles sold in US are made in US, only hybrid and fuel cell vehicles are made in Japan.

So far CRV is as reliable as any compact CUV/SUV on market.

The 2015 Honda Fit was made in Mexico. It has had a LOT of problems. Much of the 2016 production of the Fit has been moved to Japan, partly due to the quality problems. My wife has Mexican built Fit. Very un-Honda like. Then again, several first year Honda models have had problems, so assembly point may not be the issue. I personally would prefer to own an American built car, as much as that is possible. My Civic was at least assembled in the US, although I'm sure many of its components are foreign-sourced.

When are we as consumers gonna take a stand against this China garbage? I buy "made in the USA" as often as I can find it...problem is, it's difficult to find...

There are a lot of countries that I have no problem supporting. I won't, however, financially support a country that has the intent to harm the US. Given China's cyber warfare capabilities and their alliances with countries such as North Korea and Russia, I make the choice to purchase as little from China as possible.

Granted, there are simply some items that are no longer manufactured in the USA, and some items that have components manufactured in China. But as much as possible I won't support China, and that means not supporting companies that invest heavily in Chinese goods and sell them in the US, companies such as Walmart.

Meh, I doubt BYD can build a bus to pass NYCMTA/NJ Transit specs - which almost all transit agencies will adopt in some form. Gillig will need to bid aggressively on RFPs for buses - with the departure of Orion and NABI(both of whom got absorbed into New Flyer - and they are being very complacent), BYD will get inroads with smaller agencies.

I purchased a Toyota Corona in 1967 and one of my fellow faculty members liked to refer to it as the "Coyote." Had zero problems with that vehicle, unlike the myriad of problems I had with a POS 66 Dodge Dart that I special ordered.Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...........

CRV is not made in Mexico, it is either Canada or USA. HRV is built in Mexico. Now GM is building a new Buick SUV in China that will be sold here this fall and also they just built a new Cadillac production plant in China. We helped bail them out and now they take investment and jobs to our main competitor. Maybe if we all quit buying GM vehicles they would wake up and return investment and jobs to North, and I mean North, America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back