VW to pay each U.S. customer $5,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't say anything about which models are affected or if it's for the original owner only.

So should I go out and buy a clunker diesel VW so I can get a $5000 check?

My sis in law likely benefits with her 100k+ Jetta wagon tdi they'll hang onto. $5k may barely cover off a low mileage recent model year tdi in terms of resale/trade in.

Seems not much details in the article but it says VW will have to pay to have the cars fixed. So is an owner required to get it fixed to get the money?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Use the $5000 on new Honda or Toyota.
+10000

My aunt has a 2013 TDI. I told her the same thing. She might want a 4Runner.

Quote:
Die Welt said the agreement did not include a detailed plan to fix the affected cars, nor were details fixed on fines and other compensation measures, with one source saying the deal would be fleshed out in the coming months.

However, the owners of affected cars should receive $5,000 each in compensation and VW will separately have to pay to fix their vehicles, the paper said.

German lawyer Christopher Rother told Die Welt that plaintiffs in Europe would seek to emulate the U.S. deal for their customers too.

For 600,000 vehicles in US VW will pay $3 billions to owners and hundreds million on top of that $3 billions to fix it.

Europeans may try to seek the same compensation, this will cost VW a lot more than $3 billions.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'd barf if I had to drive a Civic or a Corolla.

I'd get the Mazda 3.

My wife owned one, hence my username. She had an Accord Coupe V6 before the Mazda. She got a new job and traded the Mazda in for a new Audi A4 which is her favorite car she's ever had.

Luckily, Honda and Toyota both offer many models now!

Originally Posted By: philipp10
"and after lawyers fees are deducted, each customer will be left with a voucher for a free tank of diesel fuel"

That sounds about right.

Get performance programmer, store the current fuel maps and program, or buy a matching ecm from a wreck. Take the car in and collect your $5000, keep the car and restore the original programing.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Get performance programmer, store the current fuel maps and program, or buy a matching ecm from a wreck. Take the car in and collect your $5000, keep the car and restore the original programing.

Yep-that sounds like what most of the average owners will do...............

Well you wouldn't have to get a Civic or Corolla. You could get an Acura or Lexus. But you seem like the type who needs to drive a fancy car to feel good about yourself.

Last edited:
My wife owned one, hence my username. She had an Accord Coupe V6 before the Mazda. She got a new job and traded the Mazda in for a new Audi A4 which is her favorite car she's ever had.

Yes, they are wonderful when new. Check back after a few years. One of the guys on the Accord forum is an Audi tech. He says there's a reason he doesn't own one. Very lucrative to work on them. Which is why he doesn't complain about them too much.

The standard 2016 Civic isn't as good as your GTI, but the SI and specially the Type-R may be better.

A prototype Type-R set the front wheel drive record at the "Ring" last year.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

I'd get the Mazda 3.

Yes, they are wonderful when new. Check back after five years. One of the guys on the Accord forum is an Audi tech. He says there's a reason he doesn't own one. Very lucrative to work on them. Which is why he doesn't complain about them too much.

You lease newer generation Euro luxury cars rather than buy them for this exact reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back