2013 Mitsubishi Outlander steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Steering problem here with a specific symptom.

My friend's steering wheel (see title) will move 10-15 degrees without effecting the front wheels.
The car just broke 40K.
I'm going to be looking at the thing with him later today. I realize "worn parts" is a catch all answer and it's likely wear is involved.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any inherent steering issues with these cars. I'll be looking at everything I can while my friend moves the steering wheel.

I'm confident all of today's cars have nothing like the "recirculating ball tightener" of old fashioned steering boxes.

I assume all cars have a pump and fluid is directed into the rack's cylinders.

TIA. It's funny, the Mitsubishi forum has an infuriating search function too.
Also, it has limited viewership. Questions from 2006 sometimes have an answer or two then you'll find a reask from 2 months ago. Not complaining mind you, it's just a tad weak. Kira

O.K. that's a MAJOR safety defect unless the cars was inprevious accident involving the wheels steering - back to dealer and absolutely log this problem w/ NHSTA.

There was a recall on these for PS fluid leakage

Im surprised it doesn't have EPS

Is this the US built sport or Japanese fullsize?

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
I was wondering if anyone knows of any inherent steering issues with these cars.

I work at a Mitsi dealer - we've never done any work on steering or suspension on the Outlander, and they've been out for a few years.

Hello, It's a fullsize Outlander not an Outlander Sport.

There was fluid on the inside of the plastic "belly tray" directly beneath the "steering box".
By steering box I mean the end of the steering shaft. It looks like the fluid is directed from there as there are pipes emanating from it.
It's probably called the "steering fluid routing valve" or some such.

He is going to call the dealer as the car is under warranty.

If anyone has anything to add, please do. Kira

Even if the power steering is leaky/faulty, the steering will just get heavy but should still be direct.

Could you replicate the sloppy steering?

All this happened yesterday.
With the engine running I turned the steering wheel as described above and while I sensed some sloppiness before the road wheels began to turn, I couldn't determine if it was too loose.
My friend said it's bad/noticeable at highway speeds.
My friend and his wife left early today on what'll be a 700 mile weekend drive.
I'll know more Sunday. Sorry for the delay but they live 250 miles away.
People here suggested that it's still under warranty (remember, it's not my car) so I confess to disengaging.

If and only if they go to the dealer and learn something will I post again on this.

sloppy steering (on any car) can be a sign of bad alignment.

tThe leaking concerns me, I've NEVER seen it or heard about it from other dealers/mitsu mechanics.

I've had mildly sloppy steering on the highway from bad ball joints on a mac strut front suspension. It also starting over reacting to truck grooves. At low speeds it wasn't noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back